The Convocation Center on Oct. 9, 2014. 

Ohio to receive $748,450 from NCAA

Ohio’s athletic department will receive a $748,450 cash payout from the NCAA in mid-April, according to a document published Friday by USA Today.

All Division I schools are receiving funds based on the number of athletic scholarships that the school offers.

The NCAA states that the money is to be used “for the direct benefit of the student-athlete.”

Ohio will be receiving the funds on April 19. Within three months of receiving the money, they are required to send their plan to the NCAA on how they will spend the money.

Schools aren’t required to report their expenditures to the NCAA but are subject to a random audit.

The NCAA’s website lists recommended uses for the funds which include tutoring resources, enhanced guidance counseling, cultural competency coaching and mental health programs.

The NCAA states that the funds can’t be used for “coaches’ salaries, strength and conditioning equipment, capital improvements or other expenditures designed to improve athletic performance, athletic competition experiences or fan experiences.”

There are only five Mid-American Conference schools receiving less funds than Ohio. The MAC school receiving the largest allocation is Eastern Michigan. They offer 19 sports, while Ohio offers 15.

Ohio State is receiving the most funds of all NCAA schools with $1.3 million.

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu