Reilly Moore celebrates after a goal during Ohio's game against The University of Oklahoma during the ACHA National Tournament in Columbus on Friday, March 10.

Hockey: Bobcats beat Stony Brook, will play in National Semifinal

COLUMBUS — It started with a penalty.

The Bobcats were shorthanded for two minutes and the penalty-kill unit, including Patrick Spellacy, was on the ice in a tie game. There were just under seven minutes to play.

Spellacy got the puck after a Stony Brook mistake and saw an opportunity — he and Gianni Evangelisti had a two-on-one break. The two went racing down the ice.

Spellacy passed the puck to Evangelisti, who took a shot that was deflected by the Stony Brook goaltender. But the rebound shot found the back of the net as the net moved from its hinges.

It was originally called a goal, then reversed; but after an extensive video review, it was finally ruled a goal.

Spellacy scored the go-ahead goal with 6:51 to play in the third period Saturday to lift the Bobcats over Stony Brook, 3-2, and into the ACHA National semifinal.

The goal was Spellacy’s second of the game.

“Just trying to bear down and get the puck to the net,” Spellacy said. “I’m just trying to make plays to help the team.”

If making plays for the team is his goal, he is accomplishing it in a big way. Through two games in the national tournament, Spellacy has four points, including two assists in Friday’s win.

It’s not surpising to see Spellacy, a senior, play like this. After all, he is one of Ohio’s top scorers.

But some added motivation with this being his last collegiate tournament might be what’s propelling his play to the next level, according to coach Sean Hogan.

“He’s just being a senior,” Hogan said. “He just wants to go out as a winner.”

If Spellacy and the Bobcats can find a way to win two more games on their way to a national championship, he might just get his wish and go out a winner.

What’s Next?

The Bobcats will either play at 5 p.m. or 8 p.m. on Monday in the national semifinal.

The opponent is not yet decided. If No. 2 Adrian defeats No. 7 Davenport, the Bobcats will play Adrian. If Davenport wins, Ohio will take on No. 4 Central Oklahoma, who defeated No. 5 Iowa State on Sunday.

@spencerholbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu