Ohio sophomore Logan Jacik pitches to an Ohio State hitter during its game Tuesday evening. Ohio lost 6-3. (FILE)

Baseball: Ohio defeats Shawnee State in first game back at home

Ohio defeated Shawnee State 9-1 in its first game at Bob Wren Stadium this season.

The Bobcats made easy work of the Bears, as seven of the team's nine starting hitters notched at least one hit, a promising sign as the Bobcats have struggled to find an offensive rhythm through the start of the season.

"It was nice that we were able to get a win," coach Rob Smith said. "We came out and did some pretty good things in terms of defensive play and a few guys put some good swings on the ball. On a day like today, this is what you were hoping to get."

The Bobcats' top offensive performers were seniors Connor Callery and Mateus Vakuda, as the duo combined to go 4-for-5 with five total RBIs. Senior Spencer Ibarra also hit his second home run of the season, a two-run shot to kick off the scoring in the first inning.

Ohio (9-6) also showed consistency from the mound, as six pitchers combined to hold Shawnee State (5-16) to just three total hits, which is tied for the lowest amount of hits allowed by the Bobcats in a game so far this season.

The game marks the first of eight-straight home games for Ohio. The team spent the first 14 games of the season on the road. The Bobcats have also found some momentum, as they've won four of their last five games, their best five-game stretch of the season so far.

Ohio will be back in action this weekend when the team plays a doubleheader against Siena on Saturday before closing out the three-game series on Sunday.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu