Alex Day dashes to first after a pop-up ball during Ohio's game against Rutgers on Friday (BLAKE NISSEN | FOR THE POST)

Softball: What's behind Ohio's historic start to the season

After a 5-0 weekend, the Bobcats have tied the 1995 team for the best start in school history through 25 games.

They outscored their opponents 22-1 in the final weekend of non-conference play and sport the best record in the Mid-American Conference. They were chosen to win the conference during preseason voting, and remain heavy favorites.

So how has Ohio delivered on, or even elevated, their preseason expectations?

Savannah Jo Dorsey’s performances

It’s hard to talk about the Bobcats without immediately mentioning redshirt senior Savannah Jo Dorsey. Dorsey was one of the most dominant pitchers in the country last season and she’s even better this year.

She ranks top 20 in the country in earned run average (0.85) and strikeouts (131). Nobody has been able to solve her cut fastball in the three full seasons she pitched before this, and it’s only getting harder as her control continues to improve.

She is on pace for a career low in walks, which used to be the best way for opponents to get runners on base against her. As a result, she has allowed one more earned run (11) than she has thrown complete games (10) this season.

Good luck to the rest of the MAC.

Offense from everyone

Last season, the Bobcats struggled when their pitching staff couldn’t keep the score down. The offense had a knack for getting timely hits in close games, but prolonged spurts were rare. This year, the Ohio lineup is considerably deeper and is capable of producing victories even if the pitching isn’t dominant.

Ohio went 8-11 in games where eight total runs were scored last season. This season, it has eight players (nine if you count Brittany Keen’s 1-for-3 season) batting .290 or better and is 9-3 in games with eight total runs scored.

Danielle Stiene, a junior, and Dorsey have been great in the circle, but having run support takes a lot of worry off their minds.

Defense despite new positions.

The Bobcats have the best record in the MAC entering conference play because they are good at all aspects of the game.

Five different Bobcats have played different-from-usual positions this season. Coach Jodi Hermanek said before the season she was trying to maximize the offensive potential in her lineup.

The natural worry is that those changes could hurt the support behind the pitcher. But it hasn’t.

As of March 13, Ohio was tied with Kent State for the fewest errors in the MAC with 18. They have only committed two in the six games since.

Even new shortstop Mikayla Cooper, who played third base most of her career and leads the team with nine errors, didn’t commit one in any of the five games this weekend.

The Bobcats knew this season had the potential to be special. Barring any regressions, they appear to be on track to fulfill that potential.

@JAjimbojr

jw331813@ohio.edu