Council Member Patrick Mcgee speaks at a city council meeting Monday, August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

City Council: Mayor honored for military service

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson was honored by an Ohio veterans association at Monday night’s city council meeting, having won their “Civil Servant of the Year” award in February.

AMVETS of Ohio representative Tom Smith formally presented Patterson the award in front of council members. Patterson was given the award at the association’s Annual Legislative Awards Breakfast on February 11th.

Patterson, a former Air Force Major, said the award was unexpected but important to him

“It’s quite an honor,” Patterson said. “It was unexpected, but cherished.”

Council members passed an ordinance updating a contract with a parking ticket company Monday night, which would allow for faster ticketing and better service.

The ordinance will allow the city to renew a contract with Complus Data Innovations, a company that supplies the city with their parking ticketing software. The contract would allow the city to receive new software from the company, which has been working with the city since 2005.

Councilman Pete Kotses, D-At Large, said he met with Athens Police Capt. Ralph Harvey last week to learn more about the software, and said he saw only positives in the new contract and software.

“All the hardware is owned by the company, so if there’s any issue we aren’t responsible for purchasing new equipment,” Kotses said. “I saw nothing that I didn’t like.”

Patterson said the new software would allow for faster processing of tickets.

“Sometimes it takes up to five minutes for (our parking officers) to process a ticket, so this will streamline that process,” Patterson said.

Several other ordinances were passed at the meeting on Monday night, including measures closing portions of Court Street for summer events and accepting donations of land from a local health organization.

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu