Council Member Patrick Mcgee speaks at a city council meeting Monday, August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

City Council: APD officers could join and Sheriff's Special Response and Tactics Unit

The Athens Police Department is preparing to train some of its officers to be a part of the Athens County Sheriff's Office Special Response and Tactics Unit.

Athens Sheriff Rodney Smith and APD Chief Tom Pyle spoke at Monday night's Athens City Council meeting requesting the council members pass a "memorandum of understanding" allowing APD officers to serve the county. The team is used to respond to highly volatile situations, such as a hostage situation, a report of gunshots or serving a warrant to a location believed to be dangerous.

“We hope to never have to use such a team but, heaven forbid something happens, we need to have some kind of contingency plan,” Smith said.

Pyle and Smith are hoping gather a group of five officers and train them for the tactical unit.

Council members supported the proposal.

“We really appreciate having a highly trained law enforcement ... we also have mental health training for our law enforcement and I think this is another step in making us a more informed,” Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, said.

The program would cost about $400 per month for each officer, leading to an annual cost of $24,000.

Pyle said there is room in the current payroll budget for the program.

Later during the city council meeting, Lara Edge, chair of the Commission on Disabilities gave a presentation requesting city money for a program aimed at encouraging Athens businesses to be more compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Edge is hoping to bring in a professional train up to 25 volunteers, including some students, to identify businesses in Athens that are going above and beyond to be more accommodating to those with disabilities.

The goal is to recognize the businesses and encourage other organizations to follow suit.

Edge is requesting a one-time appropriation of $1,950 from the city.

As part of the ongoing renovations on West Union Street, the city will be placing two parking kiosks on both sides of the block and removing the parking meters on the street.

The combined cost of the kiosks will be $25,000.

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson said the kiosks will pay for themselves as they are expected to generate $33,000 annually within a year's time, and that revenue will stay within the city.

The kiosks will accept coins and credit cards, or residents can make mobile payments through the city's ParkMobile app.

@BrookEndale

be278114@ohio.edu