the GREEN LIGHT campaign ticket pose in Wolfe Garden on March 27, 2016. (LAILA RIAZ | FOR THE POST)

Student Senate: Green Light ticket proposes initiatives for transparency, university involvement

The Green Light ticket running in the Ohio University Student Senate election uses the colors on a stoplight to represent its goals for the upcoming year.

Green goals mean the initiative is new, yellow represents initiatives they want to further research or ones that could use improvement and red initiatives are what they hope to improve almost entirely.

Some of Green Light’s overall goals include achieving greater transparency, collaborating with other groups on campus and bettering Ohio University as a whole, according to its website.

“What’s consistent about our goals is a better life on campus,” vice president candidate Nicole Schneider said. “We want to minimize sexual assault and (make students) feel safe.”

For the past two years, senates have focused on rebuilding internally and gaining respect, treasurer candidate Zach Woods said. About two and a half years ago Student Senate faced criticism after former senate President Megan Marzec dumped a bucket of fake blood on herself as a way to voice her concerns about OU’s ties with Israel.

Green Light members said they will not have as many internal initiatives as previous senates.

“We want to make our platform the ticket of the people,” Woods said. “We believe we have earned respect back on campus and now we want to go back out and be that voice.”

Presidential candidate Landen Lama, who has served in senate for the past two years, said he hopes to keep senate’s momentum but speed up the response to addressing students’ concerns. He wants Green Light to be more directly involved with university planning and more outspoken on public policy.

“I’m very proud of the past two senates,” Lama said. “We need to have more substantial conversations about bills and laws that are affecting us on city, state and federal levels.”

Lama said it also important for senate to follow through on promises.

Green Light will be creating due dates for all initiatives on their platform, which includes subsidized textbook and Connect costs, a print center in the lobby of every residence hall on campus and the ability for students to use Bobcat Cash at businesses uptown.

“It will be a good reminder to keep going,” Schneider said. “Senates' start off strong and fade away. We want steady hard work.”

The Green Light ticket has 38 members, about half of whom have previously served in senate, Schneider said. She said it is important to have members on the ticket who have been in senate so they have prior knowledge of how senate operates.

“(When voting,) every student needs to think about: how will we be able to handle issues on campus?” Lama said. “We can’t foresee every problem, but being able to address issues head-on is important.”

Because Green Light’s campaign is half internal, many of the ticket members have experience collaborating on senate initiatives.

“From what we've witnessed, it’s obvious to see Landen lives under the desk in the senate office,” Schneider said. “That's something we've found in all of our members. They are all very dedicated. That’s what’s unique about our ticket.”

Lama, Schneider and Woods said they will continue to support Student Senate even if the Green Light campaign is unsuccessful.

“Whatever happens, we will be involved,” Schneider said. “We're here for students. We’re here to make the school a better place.”

@stasia_nic

an631715@ohio.edu