Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landon Lama welcome returning members from last year as well as students interested in joining Student Senate on Wednesday evening in Walter Hall. (AUSTIN JANNING | FOR THE POST)

Student Senate: Body passes bill to oppose governor’s textbook initiative

Ohio University Student Senate unanimously passed a bill opposing the textbook initiative put forth in Gov. John Kasich’s 2018-19 state budget at its Wednesday night meeting.

The budget has a provision that requires colleges and universities to add $300 to tuition to cover the cost of textbooks.

OU has analyzed the potential effects of the provision and estimates it will cost more than $15 million per year. That could result in universities being forced to limit students’ credit hours, according to the bill.

“We need to come out with a strong, unified voice to say we are not in favor of the textbook provision in the budget,” Chief of Staff Landen Lama, the primary sponsor of the bill, said. “It shows we want to have tough conversations about the state budget, the university budget and how our tuition dollars get spent.”

Student Senate President Hannah Clouser, another sponsor of the bill, encouraged students to come up with better alternatives to the textbook provision so she could communicate them to state representatives.

“On the surface, it seems like a good thing, but it could limit credit hours, make students take not enough credit hours, not graduate on time and spend more money,” Clouser said. “It is important we come out and oppose this bill and generate solutions as a student body as well.”

A resolution to increase transparency in the budget review process was added to the agenda and passed unanimously. The resolution would require all budgets submitted by the Budget Committee to include attached appendices.

Graduate College Senator Mitchell Smith, the secondary sponsor of the resolution, said the resolution was proposed so senators could review budget requests without having to go through the Budget Committee.

“It’s not any contrived idea to limit someone’s power, or an assault on the Budget Committee,” Smith said. “It’s so it’s streamlined and people can see something without clogging up someone’s email.”

A bill to reaffirm senate’s commitment to the freedom of expression and exchange of ideas was not discussed because Smith, the bill’s only sponsor, removed it, Clouser said.

The bill called for senate’s public condemnation of actions taken by students at the University of California at Berkeley and Middlebury College “for their attempts to obstruct and/or prohibit the free expression of ideas,” the bill said.

Conservative commentator Milo Yiannopoulos was scheduled to have an event at Berkeley, but administrators decided to cancel the event after protests broke out in response to his scheduled appearance on campus. At Middlebury College, student protesters disrupted a talk by controversial conservative social scientist Charles Murray.

Smith issued an apology to the senate.

“I apologize if I came off as crass, offensive or rude,” Smith said. “That was never my intention.”

Clouser acknowledged Student Senate elections, which began Tuesday.

During reports, senate executives expressed the importance of senators staying out of trouble during Fest weekend.

“Don’t let me see you in the paper,” Clerk of Court Matthew Thomas said.

@stasia_nicholas

an631715@ohio.edu