Emily Mclntyre

Fit by the Fork: Five tips to keep your tummy full longer

When hunger strikes, the only ammunition seems to be eating more food. Well, not today — plan a counterattack in advance by gearing up with these five secret weapons.

Drink more water

Not pop, not lemonade and definitely not energy drinks — I mean plain h20. Aim to down a glass of it before you eat, because then there will be less room in your stomach for food. Also, drinking water can make you feel more energized (with zero carbs, calories or crash), so what’s the downside to that?

Switch to whole grains

You’ve probably heard this before, but hear me out. White or refined grains are stripped of a lot of nutrients, and they offer close to no fiber, which is the stuff that keeps you full. The good news is a lot of brands have already stepped up to the plate to make the change (looking at you, Cocoa Puffs).

Sprinkle in some chia seeds

These mighty little things expand in liquid, so it’s crazy easy to include them in everything from salads to yogurt, even pizza sauce. Chia seeds are flavorless for the most part, and just one tablespoon contains 4 grams of fiber—that’s more than some cereal bars out there.

Choose broth-based soups

If you’re especially pressed for time one day, clear, broth-based soups are a smart option. Like water, soup takes up a lot of space in your stomach; pick one that has vegetables to amp up vitamins, minerals and digestion time.

Protein, protein, protein

Eating a breakfast that consists of only simple carbohydrates — like a blueberry muffin from the coffee shop — means your body will break it down quickly and be crying out for food again in an hour or two. Protein keeps you full because it changes the hunger hormone in your body called ghrelin. Eggs, beans, quinoa are some versatile sources you can incorporate into your meals.

And the best benefit of all? When you choose to fill up the healthy way, it means less food intake, which means fewer calories, which means potential weight loss!

Emily McIntyre is a senior studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What other foods help you stay full? Let her know by emailing her at em564912@ohio.edu.