Police Blotter

Police Blotter: Man arrested after Wendy’s brawl, mystery caller leads deputies on futile search

Even with the hope of spring break looming just over the horizon, one Ohio University student spent his last day of class in the courtroom, facing multiple charges after an early morning brawl landed him behind bars.

On March 3, the Athens Police Department responded to an active fight outside Wendy’s, 40 S. Court St., around 1:30 a.m. Officers approached one of the men involved, noting a strong odor of alcohol on his breath. When asked about the injuries he sustained during the fight, the man “became irate,” pushing by officers in an attempt to flee the scene after being told he was under arrest for underage alcohol consumption, according to the police report.

The man, who was later identified as an OU student, was apprehended by officers and served charges for underage consumption, obstructing official business, resisting arrest with injury and possession of a fake I.D. He was transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

The Ohio University Police Department experienced a fairly quiet spring break, with six reports of criminal mischief, four drug-related incidents, two reports of theft, two cases of forgery, one incident of disorderly conduct and two alcohol-related incidents.

Boozy Babbling

On Friday, deputies with the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a residence in The Plains after receiving a report of a dispute. Upon arriving on the scene, deputies found both parties intoxicated, with one man lying unresponsive on the couch. When he awoke, the man was “speaking gibberish,” unable to answer basic questions and speaking to law enforcement about things that “did not make sense,” according to the police report.

Deputies determined the man “would benefit” from seeing a counselor, and transported him to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital. No further actions were taken.

Mystery Caller

On Monday, ACSO deputies were called to a residential street in The Plains after receiving a call regarding an active burglary. While searching for the location of the alleged crime, however, the caller continuously hung up the phone and would not give a valid address, according to the police report, causing confusion for law enforcement.

Deputies patrolled the street, making contact with nearby residents “at and near” the source location of the phone call, but none reported that a burglary had taken place. ACSO units continued to patrol the area, but were unable to locate the location of the caller. No further action was taken in the case.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Drunk

Late in the evening of March 2, officers from OUPD were called to Stewart Street regarding a report of a highly-intoxicated male. The man, who was found to be underage, had glassy bloodshot eyes, “loud slurred speech” and was unable to stand on his own, according to the police report.

Further investigation revealed the man was in possession of fake I.D.s from both Pennsylvania and Florida, each bearing his photo. He was issued citations for underage consumption by intoxication and possession of a fake identification card, and was subsequently transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu