A scoop of vanilla ice cream rests in a cake cone at Whit’s Frozen Custard on Monday.

Perspective: I've only had vanilla ice cream, and I will never try another flavor

There are too many flavors of ice cream to keep track of. 

Just like how there are too many stars to keep track of in the universe, too many grains of sand to count on a beach and too many rules on what is a catch in the NFL, there are too many ice cream flavors in the world.

But, with so many options, it comes as a surprise to many that I've only tried one flavor of ice cream, ever. That flavor is vanilla.

Don't get me wrong, I've had many different types of vanilla. Vanilla bean, french vanilla and all the other flavors of vanilla out there. But never chocolate. Or strawberry.

The reason I'm writing this is because too many times people have asked me why I won't try another flavor, and I'm tired of explaining.

The fact is, I love ice cream too much. As strange as it sounds, I refuse to try other flavors because of what ice cream means to me. 

Just hear me out

Right now, the words "ice cream" are almost sacred to me in a way. Someone saying ice cream is enough to bring memories of the cold, sweet delight flooding into my mind. 

And you know the best part? I've never had a bad memory of ice cream. I've been eating vanilla ice cream for as long as I can remember. I've probably had it more than 500 times in my life already, and there has not been one bad memory. Ever.

That is why I refuse to try another flavor. Vanilla ice cream, to me, is perfect, and I don't want to risk another flavor potentially ruining my happy memories of ice cream.

For example: say I try chocolate ice cream. If it's good, then I'll be happy I have a choice the next time I go to Whit's. But if it's bad, that's it for me. One single bite, and ice cream is forever ruined for me. Sure, I'll still enjoy vanilla in the future, but the next time somebody says the words "ice cream," it won't just be memories of a perfect dessert on a hot sunny day — it will be a memory of the one time I had some ice cream that tasted bad.

Last summer, I went to an ice cream shop in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. The store boasted over 70 flavors, including many most people have probably never heard of, like the Bernie Sundae, Netflix and Chill, Crack and many other flavors. But while my friends stared at the options before them debating what to try, I walked up to the counter and asked for regular vanilla. And it was as delicious as always.

I love ice cream. And I love it the way it is right now — perfect in every way without any flaws. That's why I won't try another flavor. I don't want to run the risk of ruining my idea of a perfect dessert.

@thenextbigming

kp003216@gmail.com