Beau Nishimura, taproom manager at Little Fish Brewery, pours the brewery's newest beer, "No Frackin" for a customer during a fundraiser event on Thursday, Jan. 12, 2016. The money raised was for the Buckeye Environmental Network in their fight against fracking in the Wayne National Forest.

Weekender Briefs: Athens Beautification Day and a Little Fish bottle release

Friday

Nadje Noordhuis with Ohio University Jazz Faculty & Guests and Jazz Ensemble II 7:30 p.m. at ARTS/West, 132 W. State St. Accompanied by jazz faculty and students from Ohio University, Australian-born trumpeter Nadje Noordhuis will open the 2017 Athens Jazz Festival. Noordhuis, now based in Brooklyn, combines classical, jazz and world music styles to create a one-of-a-kind sound. Admission: free.

The Wild Honeybees 8:30 p.m. at The Union Bar & Grill, 18 W. Union St. Athens-based New Orleans-style blues group The Wild Honeybees “have come out of hibernation” to perform at The Union. Featuring a saxophone and a trombone, this 9-piece band will get feet moving. Admission: $6, $3 with student ID.

Jake Dunn & The Blackbirds 10 p.m. at The Smiling Skull Saloon, 108 W. Union St. Americana band Jake Dunn & The Blackbirds is set to perform its first ever show at The Smiling Skull Saloon on Friday night. Admission: $3.

Saturday

tRAC Color Blast 5K 9 a.m. at TailGreat Park. The Residents' Action Council, or tRAC, at OU will host a 5K walk and run to raise money for the CASA/GAL program, which campaigns for neglected and abused children. Admission: $20 in advance, $25 day of, $15 in advance for each member of a group of four or more.

Little Fish Brewing Company Bottle Release 12 p.m. at Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Rd. Local microbrewery Little Fish Brewing Company will release three new beers Saturday. The beers are Learn'd Astronomer, a sour raspberry ale aged in a wine barrel, Runcible Spoon, a blonde ale aged in a wine barrel for a year, and Strhubarb Reinheitsgewhat!?, a wheat ale made with strawberries, rhubarb and spices. Admission: free, drinks for sale.

Ohio is Home Grand Opening Celebration with Red Tail Design Co. 12 p.m. at Ohio is Home, 94 Columbus Road, C11. Ohio-oriented apparel shop Ohio is Home will celebrate both its new storefront and its second anniversary Saturday afternoon. A red-tailed hawk named Naaka-Hay is schedule to visit from the Ohio Wildlife Center. Local food trucks Hot Potato and Athenie Weenie will be present from 1:30 p.m. on. Admission: free, food and drinks for sale.

April Contra Dance 7:30 p.m. at at ARTS/West, 132 W. State St. The Athens Area Contra Dance non-profit group will host another iteration of a contra dance, a traditional folk dance. Admission: $7, $3 with student ID, $15 per family, kids 10 and under free.

Acoustic Jazz Night with music from John Horne 8 p.m. at Athens Uncorked, 14 Station St. Athens Uncorked regular John Horne is set to return to the wine bar Saturday night. Horne, an acoustic guitarist, is an adjunct professor of guitar and jazz studies at OU and a local guitar tutor. Admission: free, drinks for sale.

Jim Wachtel and Just Gigs 8 p.m. at West End Cider House, 234 W. Washington St. Singer-songwriter and pianist Jim Wachtel will join regular collaborators Just Gigs at West End Cider House on Saturday night. Admission: free, drinks for sale.

Official Athens International Film and Video Festival Afterparty: “Sounds from the Underground,” with music from Aaron Michael Butler & the Ohio Percussion Collective, Us, Today and DJ Barticus 9 p.m. at The Union Bar & Grill, 18 W. Union St. To round out the 44th Athens International Film and Video Festival, The Union will host three artists in a free show Saturday night. OU alum and local musician Aaron Michael Butler will be accompanied by the Ohio Percussion Collective. Next is Cincinnati-based rock group Us, Today, and then local mainstay DJ Barticus will spin some records to end the night. Admission: free, drinks for sale.

African Dance Night 10 p.m. at Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St. The OU African Students Union will host a night full of African music and dancing. Admission: $2 for ages 18-20, $5 for ages 21+.

ColorDance Pre-Party with music from Love Alive, Mild Movements, Comisar and Bobby Booshay 10 p.m. at The Ranch, 87 ½ W. State St. Psychedelic band Love Alive and three electronic artists, Mild Movements, Comisar and Bobby Booshay, will perform a preview show in preparation for ColorDance Music & Arts Festival, scheduled to take place in May. Two West Virginia-based fire performers, Joshua Vibes and Allison Wilson, will also perform. Admission: free.

Sunday

Athens Beautification Day 2017 8 a.m. at College Green. The 13th annual Athens Beautification Day is Sunday and will likely once again be the biggest day of community service in Athens all year. Admission: free.

Trivia Night 5 p.m. at Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Road. Eight rounds of trivia will determine who will receive a voucher for a free beer at Little Fish Brewing Company. Admission: free, food and drinks for sale.

Acappella Invitational 8 p.m. at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. Several of OU’s leading a cappella groups will perform Sunday night, including the Singing Men of Ohio, the Ohio University Leading Tones, the Picardy Thirds, the Tempo Tantrums, New Chords on the Block, Title IX and Section Eight. Admission: free, donations accepted.

@alexmccann21

am622914@ohio.edu