The Union Bar & Grill, located at 18 W Union St., reopened over the summer. (KAITLIN OWENS | FOR THE POST)

Brick City Records to showcase a year’s worth of work at the Union

Athens will have a chance to see local musicians perform new music as a kick-off to a musical weekend.

Brick City Records, a record label run by students of the School of Media Arts and Studies, will showcase the artists on its label at The Union Bar & Grill, 18 W. Union St., Thursday at 9 p.m. The showcase will include artists with an indie sound such as Clubhouse, Sarah Skinner, Personal Public and Croix.

“(The event) is really to showcase (all) of the artists that Brick City Records has been working with the whole year,” Zachary Crandall, the director of Brick City Records, said.

Not all of the artists are from Athens, though. Skinner is from Cleveland and Clubhouse is from Columbus. Crandall, a senior studying the music recording industry, said the label sings artists from all across Ohio.

Taylor Hirth, a part of the marketing and promotion team of Brick City Records, said the showcase is about the artists but also about the people who work at the label.

“It’s a showcase of what we have done in the last year and how hard we have worked,” Hirth, a junior studying the music recording industry, said.

All of the artists that are signed onto the label were carefully chosen, Crandall said. At the beginning of the year, there is a pitch day for the employees and they listen to the artist’s music.

“I always ask, ‘Are they talented and do they have a unique talent?’ ” Crandall said about the choosing process. This year, the label signed four artists.

Along with having talent, Crandall looks for artists he “can grow.” He does not care about social media following, but he does care about the artist’s talent and potential.

The label specifically chose the date because they wanted to have a “last hurrah” of the year, as well as unofficially start #Fest weekend.

“The showcase is a good kick-off for people going to #Fest,” Hirth said. “It’s going to be a good Thursday night.”

Brick City Records has been working on the show since the beginning of the school year and they all have high expectations. Crandall is hoping for a sold-out show and for students to come and support local music. He is most excited to see the artists perform.

“I’m excited to see my artists do their thing,” Crandall said.

Hirth is also excited for the crowd to experience the music, which includes the four artists the label has signed and DJs between sets.

“You’re going to want to have fun and you’re going to want to dance when you hear the music,” Hirth said.

@jess_umbarger

ju992415@ohio.edu