The Athens County Comissioners meet on Nov. 1 to discuss a new security camera system and load limits on roads.

Athens County Commissioners formally endorse initiative to improve rights for crime victims

The Athens County Commissioners will endorse a ballot initiative that would protect victims of crime by amending the Ohio Constitution to more explicitly define victims' rights.

Versions of the measure, known as Marsy's Law, have already been passed in California and are being pushed in nine other states. including Ohio. Lanny Spaulding, the southeast regional director for the effort in Ohio, spoke to the commissioners at their meeting Tuesday to request their support.

"It is our belief that the rights of crime victims should be on equal level with the rights of offenders," Spaulding, a 2008 Ohio University graduate, said. "Offenders are protected by their constitutional rights (but) crime victims' rights ... are guaranteed by statute, which means they are not 100 percent of the time always enforced."

Marsy's Law was named after Marsalee Nicholas, who was murdered in California in 1983. Nicholas's mother and brother, Henry Nicholas, then ran into the accused murderer a week later, unaware he had been released on bail, which caused more pain and suffering, according to the organization's website.

Henry went on to become a key backer of the Victim's Bill of Rights Act of 2008 in California, which was named after his sister for his advocacy.

The proposal has already received endorsements from Athens County Auditor Jill Thompson, Athens County Sheriff Rodney Smith, as well as commissioners and the prosecutor from Meigs County. Spaulding said the widespread support showed the issue is non-partisan.

In the next few days, Spaulding also plans to meet with Athens City Council members to request their endorsements.

Marsy's Law has not yet received any opposition in Ohio. The only concern people have had is if the amendment would create an unfunded mandate or if it would change how victim rights are currently enforced, Spaulding said. In both cases, the answer is no.

After a brief discussion, the commissioners agreed to each sign an individual endorsement form, and draft a resolution announcing their combined support for the law. 

@thenextbigming

kp003216@gmail.com