Police Blotter

Police Blotter: 'Best of Fest' 2017

With only one more week of classes, finals and Number Fest standing in the way of students’ departure for summer vacation, the Ohio University Police Department is taking a breather as one of its busiest seasons comes to a close.

Over the course of Milliron, Mill, Congress and High fests, as well as Moms Weekend, OUPD recorded 20 alcohol-related incidents, three reports of theft, one instance of obstruction, one case of disorderly conduct by fighting, 16 drug-related incidents and 20 counts of public urination.

Double Knockout

At approximately 5:42 p.m. on March 18, the day of Mill Fest, an OUPD officer was called to a report of a man who had been knocked unconscious on East Union Street. While on patrol, another officer spotted the 19-year-old man “rolling in the roadway” on Jeff Hill. When the man was approached by the officer, he attempted to flee by running down the hill, knocking himself unconscious again in the process.

Once he regained consciousness and was once again able to speak, officers detected the scent of alcohol on his breath and issued him a citation for underage consumption by intoxication before he was transported via EMS to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital for treatment, according to the police report.

Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Later that day at approximately 11 p.m., an OUPD officer on patrol observed a man staggering and knocking on the front door of First United Methodist Church. The 20-year-old, who was later identified as a visitor, smelled strongly of alcohol, according to the police report, and was unaware of his location.

Given his level of intoxication, the man was placed under arrest by the officer, who felt the man was unable to properly care for himself. He was later transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

The next week, another visiting fest-goer was found knocking at a church’s door. At approximately 1:28 a.m. in the morning following High Fest, an OUPD officer found a man attempting to open the basement door at St. Paul’s Catholic Church near Mill Street.

Before the officer made contact with the man, the man fell into the door. It was discovered that the man smelled “very strongly” of alcohol and was very lethargic in his movements. He was arrested for disorderly conduct by intoxication and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, according to the police report.

Down in the Dumps

Hours after Mill Fest had been cleared and many had wandered off to the bars, officers on patrol at about 1 a.m. found a man “laying in the middle of Mill Street in horse manure.” The man, who was later identified as a 21-year-old visitor, was unable to stand without assistance, smelled of alcohol and was found to have "slow slurred speech."

The man was charged with disorderly conduct by intoxication and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, according to the police report.

Sticky Situation

While on cruiser patrol around 1 a.m. the day after Mill Fest, two OUPD officers spotted a man staggering southbound on Court Street, headed toward Whit’s Frozen Custard. Once he reached Whit’s, the man stopped and “appeared to have composed himself,” but as officers rounded the block, they saw the same man nearly fall to the ground while crossing College Street.

The man was asked to stop near Hudson Drive, where officers discovered he was “extremely unsteady” on his feet, had watery, bloodshot eyes and smelled strongly of alcohol. Without a working cell phone to call a friend for assistance, the man was arrested for underage consumption by intoxication and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail. It was later discovered during processing that the man was in possession of a fictitious I.D., meriting him an additional charge. 

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu