Interim President Dr. David Descutner speaks and answers questions at the Graduate Student Senate meeting on March 14, 2017. (EMILY MATTHEWS | PHOTO EDITOR)

Graduate Student Senate: Body inducted new members at last meeting of year

Graduate Student Senate inducted its new senators, vice presidents and president at its last meeting of the year Tuesday in Walter Hall.

New members were sworn into their positions at the end of the meeting, and several executive board members said they are looking forward to next year.

Next year’s GSS President Maria Modayil said she wouldn’t be in the position she’s in without the current board members.

“It’s truly been an honor to be part of this great GSS team,” she said. “I’ve been at Ohio University for six years, and it never once occurred to me to be involved. It took an email from this exact group … to spark that interest in me.”

She said she’s honored to be leading the body during a time of “pivotal changes” in the leadership at OU. She also hopes to make an impact on the university and the local community.

The current body also celebrated its successes that happened over the past year. GSS brought 67 resolutions to the floor this academic year, more than double the number in recent years. Many members said GSS has been more engaged this academic year and has grown.

“I would like to commend the leadership this year,” Joseph Shields, GSS’ adviser and dean of the Graduate College, said. “You all did a great job, and it shows that by being engaged, it boosts your visibility, credibility and the issues that you want to have discussed. I will say you got more serious consideration.”

GSS President Ian Armstrong said the body was very productive this year.

“They may seem small,” he said. “The kind of things that have happened this year, GSS hasn’t seen in the past. I look forward to seeing what GSS does next year.”

In addition to celebrating the past year, GSS passed three resolutions at its meeting. One of the resolutions will change the body’s debate procedure in its Rules and Procedures document.

Another resolution advocated that the university keep copies of The New York Times and The Columbus Dispatch in newsstands after Student Senate voted to only keep copies of The New York Times. The resolution did not pass after some members questioned whether it was the right choice.

“Looking at this in a larger context and trying to mend relationships with Student Senate and trying to recognize that OU is facing a massive financial and budget crisis right now, I don’t think this is the right fight to pick,” Seth Baker, international development studies department representative, said.

GSS also passed two budget resolutions to help fund Graduate Student orientation and to help pay for food, tables and chairs for a gathering following the March for Science that will take place Saturday.

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu