Ohio guard Jaaron Simmons is congratulated by members of the O Zone after scoring 38 points during the Bobcats’ 85-70 win over Akron on Feb. 4, 2017. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: Jaaron Simmons to transfer to Michigan

Ohio's offseason just got a whole lot more complicated.  

Point guard Jaaron Simmons will forgo his final season as a Bobcat and transfer to Michigan for his final year of college basketball. It will be Simmons' third collegiate team in his career — the 6-foot-1 guard played at Houston in the 2013-14 season.

The report was first tweeted by The Athens Messenger.

Simmons averaged 15.9 points and 6.5 assists per game, including a 17.2 points per game average in conference play, last season. When Antonio Campbell went down with a season-ending injury on Jan. 14 against Eastern Michigan, Simmons had to put the team on his back for the remainder of the year. 

In the final 16 games without Campbell, Simmons only scored single-digit points once. Without Campbell, Simmons averaged 20.3 points per game. 

Simmons's Ohio career will end after just two seasons in which he averaged 15.7 points per game and 7.2 assists. 

Former Michigan point guard Derrick Walton Jr. averaged 15.5 points and five assists last season but has used up his eligibility. 

In theory, Ohio had an experienced backcourt heading toward next season, but Simmons and Rodney Culver have both decided to leave the program and transfer. Simmons will be the fourth transfer of the offseason. Khari Harley and Wadly Mompremier also will transfer, both via grad transfer. 

The Bobcats now only have three guards on the roster that got significant time last season: Gavin Block, Jordan Dartis and Mike Laster.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu