Ohio's Maleek Irons tries to get the ball past Kent State. (FILE)

Football: Ohio ends the spring with high hopes

Frank Solich headed toward the media scrum after Ohio's last practice as relaxed as he'd been all spring.

The team had been loud and energetic all day, knowing the end was near. Quentin Poling stood on the sidelines with sunglasses on, as fans showed up at Peden Stadium for the first time all spring. It looked like summer had already come.

So Solich answered the first question from the media as quick-witted as ever.

"Coach, did this spring speed by for you too?"

"Who said it sped by?" Solich asked, smiling. 

It's not totally relaxing, though, for Solich. But it's certainly easier than the fall.

“No, it has gone by fast and normally it does," he continued. "Obviously you’re coaching in a little more relaxed attitude, you don’t have the pressure of the games coming up. It is a little bit more relaxing and to some degree, a little bit more fun. I wouldn’t say more fun. But fun.”

Each Division I team gets 15 practices to use each spring before breaking for the summer. For the Bobcats, the summer on the horizon is the last leg of the offseason program.

First came the winter workouts, then spring practice, and finally the summer workouts now waiting in the distance.

“I think this whole spring was probably the most competition I’ve seen between DBs and receivers," senior cornerback Bradd Ellis said. "We came in this year, at corner, safety, receiver, I mean you have an idea, but spots are open. People want them, they’re hungry. This was my favorite spring that I’ve been a part of.”

Competition at different positions was the theme of the spring, too. There won't be a senior at a skill position on the offense, the defensive line will have three new starters and the secondary will look to improve on a less-than stellar 2016 season.

"We were 103rd in the country in pass defense last year, that’s pathetic, that’s awful," Ellis said. "It’s a big reason why we didn’t finish with the success we should have."

But that's exactly why they love the spring. It's a chance for change, a chance to improve on last year and a chance to look forward to next year.

"This year, with everybody back that has game experience, it looks like are going to be leaders, it’s a personal thing for us to be good, and somebody people want to see on Saturdays,” Ellis continued. 

Ohio's next practice will take place in just over three months, on Aug. 7. Until then, organized practices aren't allowed. It's strictly workouts in the hot summer sun.

"... Summertime is a really important time for us in terms of strength development and speed development, we just got to continue to get bigger and stronger,” Solich said.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu