Ohio redshirt senior pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey pitches against Northn Illinois during the top of the second inning at the Ohio Softball Field on Friday, February 17, 2017. The game had to be suspended until 10 AM Saturday morning because of the lack of sunlight.

Softball: Ohio drops weekend series to Akron

Ohio lost two out of three games to rival Akron to fall out of the top spot in the Mid-American Conference East division.

The Bobcats lost 1-0 in game one Friday before winning game two by a score of 7-1. On Saturday, the Zips (19-22, 8-7) beat the Bobcats 2-1.

The series loss marks the third straight MAC series Ohio has dropped. Since Ohio’s 11-game winning streak was snapped by Western Michigan on April 1, the Bobcats have lost seven out of their last 10 games, including being shut out three times.

Despite the two losses, Ohio had great pitching in the series from Danielle Stiene and Savannah Jo Dorsey.

Stiene took both losses for Ohio and threw for a combined 6 2/3 innings, giving up three runs on eight hits while striking out nine during her two starts over the weekend.

Dorsey picked up Ohio’s lone win in her only start but appeared in all three games throwing a combined 12 1/3 innings only allowing one run on four hits while striking out 20.

Ohio’s recent offensive struggles continued in the series’ two losses as the team only combined for six hits and one run in those two games.

Taylor Saxton and Mikayla Cooper led the way for the Ohio (27-13, 8-7 MAC) offense during the weekend. Saxton went two-for-eight in the series scoring two runs while Cooper went three-for-eight scoring three runs.

Deanna Cole did not appear this weekend for Ohio after leaving Wednesday’s game against Kent State with an apparent leg injury. Replacing Cole in the lineup was MacKenzie Brunswick, who started every game in center field and went two-for-seven at the plate, scoring one run and picking up one RBI.

Despite Brunswick’s offensive contribution, Cole’s absence was felt as Ohio did not steal a base over the weekend. Cole is Ohio’s leading base stealer with 15 bags swiped this season.

Ohio will look to rebound from the recent tough stretch of games and get back on a winning roll when the Bobcats head to Marshall on Tuesday for their final non-conference game of the season.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu