Alex Day dashes to first after a pop-up ball during Ohio's game against Rutgers on Friday (BLAKE NISSEN | FOR THE POST)

Softball: Ohio falls to Marshall in season's final non-conference game

Ohio fell to Marshall on Tuesday by a final of 3-2 in the last non-conference game of the season.

This was the first meeting of the season between the Bobcats and Thundering Herd after their previous meeting in Athens was postponed because of rain.

The loss drops Ohio to 27-14 overall with a 6-9 road record.

The Bobcats offense continued its recent struggles. Ohio’s only hits came from Morgan Geno, who went two-for-three with a two-run home run, and Alex Day, who went one-for-three.

Holding Ohio’s offense in check was Jordan Dixon. She threw a complete game, striking out six while only allowing the two runs on three hits en route to the victory.

Ohio even mixed up its lineup for the non-conference matchup, trying to spark some offense with Mikayla Cooper hitting leadoff for the first time this season.

Danielle Stiene picked up the loss, even though she threw a complete game and allowed three runs on seven hits. This marks the third straight loss for Stiene.

Marshall's offense was led by Morgan Zerkle, who went three-for-three with two stolen bases, and Taylor McCord, who went two-for-two with two RBIs and a stolen base.

Ohio will look to rebound when it returns home Friday to take on Bowling Green (23-23) at 5 p.m.

The series will be crucial for the Bobcats, as the team is currently tied for sixth in the Mid-American Conference with a conference record of 8-7 — only the top eight teams make the MAC tournament.

Ohio will also be looking to snap its three series conference losing streak. Bowling Green will enter Friday riding a three-game winning streak and tied for first in the MAC East division.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu