Ty Black yells after sliding into home during Ohio's game against Butler University on Friday (BLAKE NISSEN | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Baseball: Ohio looking to get back on track, seek revenge against Marshall

After a depleting three-game series sweep to Mid-American Conference opponent Eastern Michigan last weekend, Ohio will be looking to take the first step in turning things around on Wednesday when it plays Marshall at Prasco Park in Mason, Ohio.

The Bobcats (16-19) have lost seven of their last eight games and are in their worst stretch of the season so far as they currently own a four-game losing streak, which started one week ago to the same Marshall club (18-17) that has won five of its last seven games.

In last week's contest between the two, Marshall got the best of Ohio's pitching in a 12-9 victory despite the Bobcats' offense coming alive for three home runs and a valiant eight-inning comeback attempt where Ohio was able to push across four runs.

The loss appeared to merely be a small setback for the Bobcats' pitching staff, which owned a solid 3.57 ERA prior to Wednesday's matchup.

But after Ohio's worst pitching weekend this season in which it gave up 32 total runs, that ERA now sits at a displeasing 4.20. 

Coach Rob Smith will likely turn back to his usual group of midweek pitchers to get things back on track at the mound. 

Redshirt junior Cory Blessing, redshirt sophomore Nick Kamrada and senior Mike Mikolajczak have seen frequent innings in non-weekend games. The trio has also been among Ohio's top relievers, as all three have ERAs below 3.50.

Also working in the Bobcats favor is an uptick in offensive production, as Ohio has plated 21 runs in its last two games. 

Leading the offensive surge has been sophomore Rudy Rott, who won MAC East Division player of the week honors after hitting five home runs and driving in 13 RBIs. The first baseman now currently leads the team with 28 RBIs and is second with a career-high six home runs this season. 

Ohio will have the advantage of an additional day of rest, as Marshall will play West Virginia on Tuesday night.

A win would give the Bobcats the confidence they need as they head into their next MAC series, a three-game home stint against last-place Miami. 

A loss would put Ohio at a tie for its longest losing streak of the season.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu