Get a good look at Jupiter in the Athens sky; Experts doubt the local efficacy of energy order

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated which day Ohio University's observatory will officially open. The event is on May 6. The article has been updated. 

Here’s what you need to know for Wednesday, April 12, 2017:

News from The Post

• Student Senate held a panel Tuesday night on sexual assault in the workplace. (The Post)
  • Local experts doubt a recent executive order on energy will have an impact the local coal economy. (The Post)

Good Morning,

On this day in 1961, Yuri Gagarin became the first man to enter into space and travel in low Earth orbit aboard the Vostok 1.

He wasn’t the first Russian to go to space, however — Laika the space dog preceded him by four years.

Speaking of dogs and space, Ohio University’s new observatory is slated to open on May 6. If you attend the opening ceremony, you could get a peek at Sirius, historically known as the Dog Star, and its white dwarf companion, sometimes called The Pup.

More immediately, though, the clear skies forecast for tonight mean Jupiter should be visible all night, as well as a waning gibbous Moon, which will rise around 9:30 p.m.

Weather

A high of 67 degrees with no precipitation. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

Scores and Game Times

Baseball beat Youngstown State Tuesday night. Softball is headed to Kent State tonight.

You might also want to know…

Pope Francis has opened a free laundromat for the homeless. (Associated Press)

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has undone an Obama administration effort to ease student loan burdens. (Bloomberg)

@ThinkinAbtSpace

eg662511@ohio.edu