ONCE UPON A TIME - "Where Bluebirds Fly" - In flashback, Zelena befriends a young woodcutter who has been cursed and turns to her for help finding a new heart. Zelena is forced to choose between keeping her powers and her friendship with him. Meanwhile, in Storybrooke, Zelena decides to take on the Black Fairy and put a stop to her, once and for all, against Regina's wishes, and the Charmings disagree over Emma and Hook's wedding plans, on "Once Upon a Time," SUNDAY, APRIL 23 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network. (ABC/Jack Rowand) REBECCA MADER, LANA PARRILLA

TV Review: Snow gets busy planning Emma’s wedding on ‘Once Upon a Time’

Though Sunday’s episode of Once Upon a Time wasn’t as eventful as previous episodes, it helped set up the final battle and prepare viewers for the upcoming wedding. Though the episode didn't add much to the overall plot, here are the main takeaways from Sunday’s episode.

Snow starts planning Emma’s wedding

With the Black Fairy (Jamie Murray) wreaking havoc on Storybrooke, Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) thinks it's important to start planning Emma (Jennifer Morrison) and Hook (Colin O’Donoghue)’s wedding and brighten people’s spirits. Charming (Josh Dallas), Snow, Emma and Hook look all around Storybrooke for the perfect wedding venue, but Charming is not happy.

After being moody all day, Charming finally tells Snow why he's acting weird: He doesn’t want Emma’s wedding day to be ruined by the Black Fairy. Ultimately, Emma and Hook decide to wait until everything with the Black Fairy is sorted out. This whole storyline seemed pretty pointless, but it seems the creators just want to throw in as much romance as possible.

Via giphy.com

Zelena makes a sacrifice

Throughout the episode, Zelena (Rebecca Mader) struggles with wanting to be the best and defeating the Black Fairy. Regina tells her not to go after the Black Fairy, but she doesn’t listen. She ventures into the fairy mines where the Black Fairy is hiding. Regina finds Zelena down there, and they start bickering. Zelena and Regina go deeper into the mines, and the Black Fairy and Gideon (Giles Matthey) emerge.

The villain leads Zelena and Regina into their lair. Zelena tries to kill the Black Fairy with her magic, but it doesn’t work. Instead, the Black Fairy transfers Zelena’s dark magic into the fairy crystals on the ceiling, turning them black and making them into a weapon.

Regina is upset with Zelena and tells her to go back to Oz because “at least there you can’t make things worse for us.” Zelena almost takes the advice of her sister but shows up at the sheriff’s office later with an object from her past.

In a box, she has the crimson heart. The object sucks the magic out of the person who holds it. If she uses the crimson heart to suck the magic out of herself, the crystals will also lose her magic. She goes through with the plan, and Black Fairy is left without a weapon.

Via giphy.com

The Black Fairy has a secret

After Zelena gives up her magic, Emma and Regina wants to talk to the Blue Fairy about the fairy crystals. Zelena and Regina were able to snag one out of the mines. Earlier in the episode, Zelena went to Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle)’s shop and saw the Blue Fairy in a coma. The Blue Fairy lost her powers in an earlier episode in the season and is no longer conscious.

Zelena tells Regina and Emma that, and they go visit the shop. They use the crystal they have to start the Blue Fairy’s heart again. Now, they just have to wait for her to wake up.

The camera cuts to the Black Fairy and Gideon, who are spying on the good guys through a magic orb. The Black Fairy is worried because she doesn’t want the Blue Fairy to wake up. The Blue Fairy is the only one who knows her secret — “the real reason I gave him up,” she says.

Once Upon a Time airs every Sunday at 8 p.m. on ABC.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu