Palmer Place Fest chilly but bright

Despite temperatures that hovered around 50 degrees all afternoon, festgoers enjoyed bright skies and high spirits at Palmer Place Fest on Friday.

Many festgoers wore the typical jersey for the fest, but there were many unique costumes, including dinosaurs, a taco, a banana, various superheroes, a priest and a panda. Most of the people dressed in those costumes did it to stay warm, while others just did it for fun.

"It’s really cold," Danielle Baker, a senior studying chemical engineering who wore a pink dinosaur costume, said. "I didn’t want to wear a jersey. If I’m lost, people can find me."

One festgoer attempted to scare others into thinking he was busting underage drinkers, wearing a shirt reading "security" and asking for ID.

"I just like messing with people, I guess," Cody Jenkins, a junior visiting from Notre Dame College said. "Some people got genuinely scared, but some people brushed it off."

Many festgoers on the ground level of the apartment complex tossed around a football or played drinking games, including dizzy bat or beer pong. Others observed from the balconies above, tossing their beer cans off the side or pouring drinks into the mouths of people below.

But those activities weren't all fun and games.

"I saw a dude do dizzy bat, and he hit a guy’s girlfriend on accident," Jeff Anzo, a sophomore studying athletic training, said.

Trent Cox, a sophomore studying early childhood education, attempted to kick a football to the balconies above the main courtyard. He was unsuccessful, saying it was difficult with everyone yelling around him.

"I whiffed so bad," Cox said. "I just hit a girl in the face. I don’t think it could get much worse."

Besides the minor bumps people got from footballs, bats and beer cans, Palmer Place festgoers were in high spirits despite the cold weather.

David DeQuan Craver, a sophomore studying integrated media, transferred to OU this year and described the "hype" of Palmer Place Fest.

"Palmer Place Fest is the reason I’m an OU student right now," he said.

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu

Maggie Campbell and Bailey Gallion contributed to this report.