Reggae artist Shaggy performed at Baker Ballroom on Thursday, April 20, 2017 as part of UPC and BSCPP's annual #TBT concert.

Shaggy performs to a crowd full of 'Angels' in Baker Ballroom

Shaggy was met with a wave of boos Thursday night when he accidentally addressed the crowd as "Ohio State."

"Ohio, Ohio University?" the reggae artist asked the audience as the boos were replaced with even louder cheers. "I don't know this s---, I'm from Jamaica."

Shaggy opened with his track "Lucky Day," walking onto stage with a leather jacket and sunglasses and holding a styrofoam cup.

"Put your hands in the air, wave them like you just don't care," he yelled at the crowd packed into Baker Ballroom.

Shaggy performed at OU as part of the Black Student Cultural Programming Board's and University Programming Council's annual #TBT concert Thursday night. 

Shaggy was joined onstage by a backup singer, who helped sing the chorus during his track "Angel." Shaggy kept the audience captivated throughout the performance with slow, sensual pelvic thrusting, as well as having the audience sing the words back to him a cappella.

Before performing his new collaboration with OMI titled "Seasons," Shaggy led the audience in another a cappella singalong to OMI's track, "Cheerleader."

Lauren Martin, a sophomore studying accounting, called the event the "most pumped concert" she had been to.

"I feel like since it was a smaller group, there was a lot more interaction," Martin said, adding she preferred the setting over Number Fest from last year.

Shaggy also took a moment during the concert to shout out his home country of Jamaica.

"Let me see the hands of all my Jamaicans right now," he told the crowd. "Let me see the hands of those who have been to Jamaica right now." 

One audience member could be seen holding up a Jamaican flag.

"I flew all the way up here from Jamaica, so if you don't like reggae music, then get the f--- out," Shaggy yelled into mic before launching into another track.

Clay Benjamin, a senior studying broadcast journalism, said he especially enjoyed it when Shaggy played "It Wasn't Me," and Shaggy was one of his favorite #TBT events out of his four years at OU.

"I think it was up there," he said. "It's a tie between Shaggy and the Ying Yang twins."

Lindsey Hohler, the former president of UPC, said she was also satisfied with how the event turned out.

"I think it went very well," Hohler said. "We had a bigger attendance than last year. Everyone seemed to enjoy it."

Hohler added that she wished it could have still been hosted outside, but said the event being indoors made it "easier to guard off the area to make it a safer place for students to be."

Shaggy closed the concert with a performance of his hit song "It Wasn't Me," followed by his track "Only Love," featuring Pitbull. 

"I love Ohio, that's my city," he dubbed over Pitbull's line that shouted out Miami, before exiting the stage.

@thenextbigming

@kp003216@gmail.com