Emily Mclntyre

Fit By The Fork: Sun, snacks and the great outdoors, picnic season is here

This time of year is the best and the worst. With finals week approaching, we’re supposed to be locked inside with our noses in a pile of lecture notes. At the same time, the warm April breeze calls our names to hit up the bike path, College Green or South Beach. The struggle is real, right? Turns out, you can have the best of both worlds without feeling too guilty — just head outside for a picnic lunch or dinner. Pack up these quick, cheap eats and tell your friends to “cash you ousside.”

Lime brown rice and black beans

This combo is extremely versatile when it comes to using whatever flavor(s) your heart desires. Instead of using just plain water for the instant brown rice, I add a lot of lime juice for a refreshing citrus kick. Add canned black beans, stir and top with salsa, Greek yogurt or cheese.

Turkey roll-ups

Take a break from the bread and go deli sushi. Layer slices of turkey and cheese with lettuce, thinly sliced cucumber and carrots. Don’t forget to spread on the condiments before you roll! 

Watermelon slushies

The best part about these is that the texture of the watermelon keeps the slushie from melting completely to liquid. Blend equal parts ice cubes and watermelon cubes. That’s it unless you want to add a splash of lemonade or fruit juice for extra flavor.

Caramel apple nachos

Let’s be real, who has time (or patience) to bake an apple pie? Skip the fancy pastry work for my twist on an American classic. Cut an apple into thin slices, then drizzle with caramel. Top with all-natural granola, mini chocolate chips and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Emily McIntyre is a senior studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your favorite summer snacks? Let her know by emailing her at em564912@ohio.edu.