Emily Mclntyre

Fit By The Fork: Get in shape by getting in the groove

You know how the perfect playlist can take a house party from good to fantastic? I think the same concept applies to exercise. Music has the incredible potential to transform how you approach a workout. I like to think outside of the box and use my workout playlist as a structural tool. Here’s how I make it happen.

My PowerMix app

I have been using this app for years. My problem is that I tend to slow down when I’m reaching the end of a song in normal play mode. After you select a playlist, the app shuffles songs based on the desired time interval. I usually have it change the song every minute, but you can choose intervals from 15 seconds to 10 minutes.

Go hard during the chorus

Or during the verses. Pick up the pace for short bursts during the song, and your body will automatically work harder. Also, you’ll burn more calories.

Vary the BPM

BPM stands for beats per minute. Make a playlist of songs with different tempos and adjust your running, walking or jogging speed accordingly. If you tend to get bored during the middle to end of your workout, this spices it up a bit.

Assign roles to each artist or genre

When Beyoncé comes on, maybe focus on your breathing. For rap songs, improve your form. It may take a few times to memorize, but a cheat sheet can help.

Emily McIntyre is a senior studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your workout jams? Let her know by emailing her at em564912@ohio.edu.