The Athens Major Crimes Unit found digital scales, drug paraphernalia and more than $2,000 in cash Sunday at 17 James Lane, The Plains. (provided via the Athens Major Crimes Unit)

'Key suppliers of crack cocaine and heroin' arrested, charged with multiple felonies

Two Ohio men were arrested and charged with drug trafficking by the Athens Major Crimes Unit on Sunday.

The AMCU served a search warrant related to illegal drug activity at 17 James Lane in The Plains and found evidence that included digital scales, drug paraphernalia and more than $2,000 in cash, according to a news release. This search was part of a months-long investigation into illegal drug activity in the area.

Six people were present and interviewed at the residence, and four were removed from the residence.

Shawn D. Agee Jr., 30, of Columbus, was jailed on three felony of the fourth-degree of trafficking in crack cocaine in a school zone charges, as well as three felony of the fourth-degree of trafficking heroin in a school zone charges.

Kenneth W. Logan, 59, of Columbus, was jailed on two felony of the fourth-degree trafficking crack cocaine in school zone charges, as well as one felony of the fourth-degree trafficking heroin in a school zone charge.

“This investigation is ongoing and has already documented both Agee and Logan to be key suppliers of crack cocaine and heroin to the Athens Ohio area,” Athens County Sheriff Rodney Smith said in the news release.

The two others removed from the residence were Lana A. Lanning, 32, of Chauncey, and James L. Mathena, 34.

Lanning was jailed on a felony of the fifth-degree charge of possession of a schedule two controlled substance. Mathena was discovered to be out of the SEPTA Correctional Facility in Nelsonville on a furlough and returned to SEPTA.

Further criminal charges could come from the investigation, Smith said in the news release.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu