Musical Artist Nicki Minaj agreed to pay for an Ohio University Student's tuition via Twitter

Nicki Minaj offers to pay for OU student's college expenses

Nicki Minaj fans were in for a huge surprise when the rapper began offering to pay for her fans’ college-related expenses, including one lucky student from Ohio University.

Minaj took to Twitter early Sunday morning and agreed to help fans with any financial struggles, as long as they could prove good grades.

OU sophomore Devonte Portis, @hourdrive on Twitter, tweeted at Minaj asking her for help in paying $1,800 to return to OU in the fall.

Minaj replied, agreeing to help.

Portis, who studies public relations, said he was “under a lot of stress” as he was unsure on how to pay the amount back.

“I fell in love with OU and decided to further my education there,” Portis said in a Twitter direct message. “This university means a lot to me.”

The night originally began as a contest on Twitter in which fans recorded themselves singing along to one of Minaj’s latest songs, “Regret in Your Tears.” Minaj tweeted a clarification that fans from any country could participate in the contest, but then one user asked, “Well you wanna pay for my tuition?”

Minaj has been a strong advocate for education and has tweeted at her fans numerous times to stay in school and finish their education.

At the end of the night, Minaj promised to help more than 30 fans with their financial struggles and said she’ll be back to do this again “in a month or 2.”

“I feel fortunate to be a part of a fanbase where the artist loves her fans. She’s helped me through a lot with her music and interaction,” Portis said in the message. “People ask all the time why I'm obsessed with her and it's reasons like this! She's such a genuine and sweet person.”

@summerinmae

my389715@ohio.edu