Ohio redshirt senior pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey pitches against Northn Illinois during the top of the second inning at the Ohio Softball Field on Friday, February 17, 2017. The game had to be suspended until 10 AM Saturday morning because of the lack of sunlight.

Softball: Ohio advances to the MAC Championship Game

Ohio is just seven innings away from redemption. 

Last season, Ohio fell to Miami in the Mid-American Conference Championship Game. After that loss, the Bobcats' goal for this season became to get back to MAC championship. This time, to leave with a victory.

Ohio has its opportunity to accomplish that goal after defeating Kent State 2-0 on Friday thanks to the stellar pitching of Savannah Jo Dorsey and the impressive play of Jamie Wren.

Dorsey threw her third consecutive complete game shutout to pick up the victory. She struck out nine while giving up six hits. In the MAC tournament, Dorsey has struck out 30 batters in just three starts.

The game was another pitcher’s duel between Kent State’s Ronnie Ladines and Dorsey. Ladines took the loss despite a complete game effort where she struck out three while only allowing six hits.

But she could not get past a rocky fifth inning.

Alex Day began the fifth inning with a leadoff triple, and she would score the first run of the game on a Jamie Wren single. Wren would score later in the inning on a MacKenzie Brunswick single to give Ohio the 2-0 lead it would not relinquish.

Wren would also be instrumental in keeping the lead on the defensive end in the bottom half of the fifth when she made a diving catch on a bunt that was popped up before throwing the ball onto first for a double play.

The win not only advanced Ohio to MAC Championship Game, but it also was the 39th victory of the season for the Bobcats, which ties the school record for most wins in a single season. The record has stood since 1995.

Ohio will face the winner of Kent State and Northern Illinois. The Golden Flashes and the Huskies will play Saturday at 10:30 a.m. to decide who moves on to face the Bobcats for the championship at 1:00 p.m.

Since Ohio has not lost yet in the tournament, either Kent State or Northern Illinois will have to beat the Bobcats twice to win the MAC Championship while Ohio only needs to win once.

The winner of the MAC Championship will also receive an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu