ONCE UPON A TIME - "The Song in Your Heart" - In flashback, Snow and Charming make a special wish that Emma will be protected. The result of their wish has the whole kingdom bursting into song which infuriates the Evil Queen. Meanwhile in Storybrooke, the Black Fairy announces her plans to unleash another curse on the town while Emma and Hook prepare for their wedding, on "Once Upon a Time," SUNDAY, MAY 7 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network. (ABC/Jack Rowand) COLIN O'DONOGHUE

TV Review: 5 takeaways from the ‘Once Upon a Time’ musical episode

When TV shows attempt a musical episode, sometimes it isn’t done very well. Once Upon a Time took its shot at a musical episode and it hit the mark. The list of all-original songs fit the Disney nature of the show, and the actors actually had good singing voices. The overall plot continued and the episode was not all singing, which were the best parts. Here is what happened in Sunday’s episode of Once Upon a Time.

A wish is the reason they burst into song

Most of the musical numbers are sang in the flashbacks which take place in the Enchanted Forest while Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) is pregnant with Emma. When Snow wishes on a star for something to help her and Charming (Josh Dallas) defeat the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla), they wake up the next morning with a song in their hearts.

The Evil Queen finds a way to take everyone’s singing voice away, but the Blue Fairy (Keegan Connor Tracy) appears to Snow and Charming and tells them she was the one who granted the wish. With a little bit of fairy magic, the Blue Fairy puts everyone’s song into Emma’s heart and says this will help her win a battle she will have to face alone. So the way to defeat the Black Fairy is through song? Seems legit and very Disney — I like it.

Via giphy.com

Colin O’Donoghue can sing — and it’s hot

The best song in the entire episode was Hook's (Colin O’Donoghue) solo about getting revenge on Rumplestiltskin. Snow and Charming visit the pirate in a tavern seeking passage to the Evil Queen’s castle via the Jolly Roger. Side note: Does anyone else think it’s weird that Hook is a grown man at the time Snow is pregnant with Emma? I know the Dark Curse froze time, but it’s still a little weird.

Anyway, the song was like an homage to Disney’s Tangled. It was a tavern full of pirates singing to a princess and a prince. And the fact that Colin O’Donoghue sang the song made it even better. He’s attractive, a decent actor and can sing? Swoon.

Via giphy.com

Storybrooke knows the Black Fairy wasn’t banished

While Emma is picking out her wedding dress, the Black Fairy (Jaime Murray) appears and tells her the curse will be relinquished at 6 p.m. — the same time as Emma and Hook’s wedding. Everyone sets out to find a way to stop it.

Regina and Zelena (Rebecca Mader) concoct a potion that can freeze time in hopes it will prevent the curse from starting. Hook goes after Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle), but it backfires when the Black Fairy arrives. The Black Fairy gets her hands on the freezing potion and puts it on everyone Emma loves. Emma really has to defeat the Black Fairy on her own now.

Via giphy.com

Emma finds the song in her heart

After Emma’s family is frozen, she goes to the Black Fairy and offers to give up her heart. The Black Fairy plunges her hand into Emma’s chest, but is unable to crush it. Emma’s heart is too strong. At that moment, Henry, the only person not frozen — rushes in and shows Emma that her heart is stronger than most because of the songs that reside there. Of course, Emma bursts into song. Her voice unfreezes her family and the Black Fairy disappears, saying she will be back for the final battle.

Emma and Hook find their “happy beginning”

Though they never found a solution to stop the Black Fairy’s curse, Emma and Hook decide to proceed with their wedding. The two exchange vows, and Hook’s are particularly romantic: “You showed me that a heart full of love is the most precious treasure of all.” Hook is the perfect guy. Emma and Hook seal their love with a kiss, and though this would be deemed a “happy ending” in normal fairy tales, the couple decides to call it a “happy beginning.”

As they share their first dance, the clock tower strikes six. The curse is going to take them to another place, but Emma ensures Hook that “no matter where it’s taking us, we’re going to win.”

Via giphy.com

The upcoming season finale will prove to be an emotional one. Whatever happens to the show after this season, frontrunner Jennifer Morrison will not return. That fact can help fans come up with theories as to what will happen in the final battle.

The two-hour season finale of Once Upon a Time will air Sunday at 8 p.m. on ABC.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu