Channing and Quinn perform at the 2013 Boogie on the Bricks. The annual event will take place Saturday on Court Street. (FILE)

Boogie on the Bricks to shut down Court Street on Saturday

The thirteenth-annual Boogie on the Bricks Community Music & Arts Street Festival will be happening Saturday.

The one-day street festival will start at 12 p.m. and end at 11 p.m., with many activities going on throughout the day. Entrance to the festival is free.

The festival will span the famous bricks of Court Street with two stages featuring artists Qiet, Fisher Cast and Tales of Joy. The stages are being sponsored by Platform Beer Co. and Holzer.

“I am really looking forward to several of the bands,” Judy Wymer, the event coordinator, said. “There are some really great bands performing.”

Wymer is also looking forward to the Kids Zone which will include a bounce house, crafts and games because she has children of her own. There will be no alcohol permitted in the Kids Zone.

There will also be a beer garden with both craft and domestic beer as well as food vendors including Hot Potato, Hot Diggity Dog Unlimited and Petru Chocolate.

Matt Subel, the director of sales for Platform Beer Co., said there are a lot of things to consider when choosing what beer to bring to an event.

“We look for what we have available and the seasonality,” Subel said. “You have to have an (India Pale Ale) with today.”

Subel said Platform Beer Co. decided to become a sponsor for Boogie on the Bricks because of their appreciation for Athens.

“We just started distributing in that area this year and Athens has been a great market to us,” Subel said.

Boogie on the Bricks will be a zero-waste event. Vendors will bring compostable cups and there will be souvenir cups being handed out to lower waste.

“We all very much care about the environment and we don’t want to create too much waste,” Wymer said.

@jess_umbarger

ju992415@ohio.edu