A fire broke out in a clothes dryer in an E. State Street apartment Monday morning.

The Athens Fire Department responded to a fire at 284 E. State St. at about 9 a.m., according to a news release from AFD Chief Rob Rymer.The fire did not spread past the area it originated in and no one was hurt.

The estimated damage to the property was about $12,000.

In the release, Rymer said people should inspect clothes dryers on their property to make sure the vents are clear of accumulated lint, which can cause units to overheat.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu

Comments powered by Disqus