It is illegal to own only one guinea pig in Switzerland. (Photo via Wikimedia Commons user Sandos

Fun News Friday: Even guinea pigs need pals; get avocado toast along with your mortgage

Happy almost-4th of July! Here’s your dose of fun news to get you through to the holiday.

1. It’s illegal to own just one guinea pig in Switzerland

Everybody needs a friend, and Switzerland thinks guinea pigs are no exception to that rule. According to Mental Floss, an animal rights law that was introduced in 2008 makes it illegal to only own one guinea pig.

“The law was part of a legislative push to grant ‘social rights’ to pets that tend to get lonely,” Mental Floss reports. “Guinea pigs, for example, are herd animals, so having at least one furry companion to share a cage with should supposedly boost their quality of life.”

Get your guinea pigs pals.

2. Chicken is now officially in space

A new advancement in the Kentucky Fried Chicken space chicken has developed. A few weeks ago, Kentucky Fried Chicken announced they would be sending a sandwich up into space using an balloon; Thursday, the chicken was sent nearly 80,000 feet in the air, according to The Atlantic.

“The chicken fillet has been treated with synthetic materials that will keep it looking fresh after it lands, but which are not fit for human consumption,” The Atlantic reports. 

3. A dog learned to smile after three and a half years

It took 3 years, 6 months and 18 days but this afternoon I finally taught my dog how to smile on command. I'm so proud. from pics

This pup, Griffin, had difficulty smiling for the camera. His owner, Rachel Ebel, decided she would teach him how to smile. After three and a half years, he finally got the hang of it.

"He loves learning new tricks though, and is always very eager to show them off," Ebel told Mashable. "And as a photographer, I thought it'd be especially fitting to have a dog that could 'smile' for the camera."

He’s doing great.

4. You can get both a mortgage and avocado toast

With all the fuss about avocado toast apparently making millennials unable to buy homes, one company decided to use it to their advantage. Online lender SoFi says it will supply a month’s worth of avocado toast to people who take out a mortgage with them in July.

“SoFi says it’ll send those who qualify the avocados and bread in three shipments to keep them fresh,” the Associated Press reports. “And yes, gluten-free bread is an option.”

5. Even cheetahs need some help

It turns out cheetahs need a little help too sometimes. BuzzFeed reports that cheetahs can be just as anxious as anyone else. To help combat that, some zoos are giving them support pups.

"Dogs are naturally comfortable with people, even those they don’t know,” the San Diego Zoo website says. “Cheetahs are quite a bit more cautious and wary of new situations; having a dog buddy to show them that everything is okay — and even fun — helps the cat feel comfortable and relaxed."

It’s the most adorable thing, too.

See any fun news during the week? Let Maddie know by shooting her an email or a tweet.

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu