Police Blotter

Police Blotter: Intoxicated man found kicking door; deputies catch and release snake

With most students away from campus for the summer, the Ohio University Police Department responded to only one report of underage drinking in May.

At about midnight on May 12, an OUPD officer stationed on Hudson Drive saw a 19-year-old man kicking a door at the Alpha Gamma Delta house on University Terrace.

As the officer approached, he witnessed the man removing a screen from a basement window on the house. The man was unsteady on his feet and smelled like alcohol, according to the OUPD report.

The officer issued the man a court summons for underage drinking and criminal mischief, and the man was transported to the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

The department’s public radio log for the month listed 35 incident entries. Twenty of those incidents involved traffic violations. Six involved reports of damaged property, such as criminal damaging or vandalism. The department also received two reports of theft.

Weed on the green

OUPD officers received two reports of marijuana paraphernalia left on university property.

On May 4, an electric company worker discovered marijuana paraphernalia in the attic space above the third floor in Perkins Hall, according to an OUPD report.

In the second incident, staff at the OU Golf Course located “possible controlled substances” in a golf cart. The OUPD report classifies the incident as illegal possession of marijuana.

No snakes harmed

On Sunday afternoon, Athens County Sheriff’s Office deputies were dispatched to Hickory Creek Nursing Home, where someone had reported a large snake in the building.

When deputies arrived, they found the snake in a windowsill, according to a sheriff’s office report. They captured the snake in a pillowcase and released it into the woods.

The snake was found to be a kingsnake and was not injured.

A tale of two bikes

On May 16, Athens County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a report of thefts between two neighbors.

The first neighbor told deputies the second neighbor had stolen $20 from her. In an attempt to get her to return the money, the first neighbor stole the second neighbor’s bike; to try to get her own bike back, the second neighbor subsequently stole the first neighbor’s bike.

According to the sheriff's report, “Deputies mediated the dispute, and stood by as parties returned the bikes to each other.” 

As the deputies could not determine whether $20 was stolen, they left without taking further action.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu