Eric has a real shot at getting the final rose on The Bachelorette. (provided via The Bachelorette on Instagram)

TV Review: How Eric became the frontrunner on ‘The Bachelorette’

Rachel Lindsay and Eric haven’t always been as close as they are now on The Bachelorette, but the Baltimore native has discreetly surged to the front of the pack. There was no greater proof than in the Monday's episode in which he was one of the three remaining men left to vie for Rachel’s heart. Here is why Eric might surprise everyone and get that final rose:

1. He continues to open up

Eric has always “kept it 100” with Rachel. Every week he told Rachel something new about himself or how he felt. Before hometowns, he told Rachel he didn’t grow up in the best living conditions, but that’s who made him who he is. He stayed positive through adversity and is a better person because of it.

After meeting her family and going into fantasy suites, Rachel wasn’t sure of where Eric stood with his feelings for her. Eric has never been in love before, and she was not sure he quite knew how love feels. But when they sat down to dinner, she got him to open up a little more — actually, a lot more.

“Nothing else matters, and I’ve never felt that before. I’m in love with you,” he said. “This is it. I’m here for you.”

That moment could have brought any hopeless romantic — like myself — to tears. Eric is winning at love.

2. They challenge each other

On numerous occasions, Rachel has said Eric challenges her to be a better person. Eric reciprocates that same feeling. He said he has never been challenged emotionally before he met Rachel. When he is with her, he can’t help but be vulnerable. That’s how he knows he is in love with her, he said.

Being able to constantly grow with someone is an admirable trait in a partner. Life would be boring if there wasn’t someone there to push you to your limits. If Rachel and Eric end up together, they will grow both as individuals and as a couple.

3. While other relationships flatline…

The other two men have had high, intense, passionate relationships with Rachel from the get-go. But those relationships hit some speed bumps.

Bryan charmed his way into Rachel’s heart but failed to win over the approval of her family. His family didn’t trust the smooth-talking Miamian and was surprised to hear him talk about his love for Rachel after only knowing her for two months.

Peter revealed he isn’t sure he would propose at the end of the show if it came down to him. That was devastating for Rachel to hear, especially because she said she’s falling in love with him.

But Eric didn’t have any problems meeting her family, and fantasy suites went superbly.

4. …Their relationship keeps progressing

Throughout the entire episode — and a little bit in previous episodes — Rachel and Eric have marveled at the fact their relationship keeps building. Being able to build a relationship is the key to success on The Bachelorette. If the couple can’t build on what they have, how can they expect to spend a lifetime together?

“From week one to now — it’s so surreal,” he said. “I swear every time I’m with you, we get better with time.”

Eric told Rachel he almost left the show in week three or four. He was starting to cause some drama in the house, but once his feelings for Rachel got stronger, he settled down. Not only have Eric and Rachel grown together, but Eric has grown as an individual too. It has been amazing to see his personal growth on the show — and hopefully Rachel sees it too.

The Bachelorette airs every Monday at 8 p.m. on ABC.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu