Josh Martinez went too far during this week's episode of Big Brother 19.  (Photo via @big.brother Instagram) 

TV Recap: Josh took targeting Marlena too far on 'Big Brother 19'

Big Brother 19 has been filled with all of the drama and strategic gameplay that the show’s superfans can’t get enough of.

Last week, Paul, the Head of Household, used his power to take a shot at the house’s two biggest targets: Jessica and Cody. Unaware of what Jessica’s Den of Temptation privilege could do, Paul's HoH was nullified by The Halting Hex keeping both herself, and Cody, safe. Here’s what you might have missed this week on the CBS reality competition.

Sunday

All hail the HoH

Moments after the live eviction ended on August 3rd, everyone started to rally around Josh Martinez to see where they stood in his ranks. Mark Jansen was slightly nervous due to the problems he and Josh have had previously. Elena Davies, on the other hand, knew she was on Josh’s radar because of her vote against him on July 27th.

After things settled down, Paul pulled Josh aside and told him his target needed to be Jessica. Later, Christmas Abbott joined the conversation in which Josh told them both he wanted to target Mark and Elena. Paul once again tried to convince him that Jody was the bigger target and they should aim for those two first.

Players catch on to Paul

When Paul left the room, Christmas told Josh it was his HoH, and he should use it to further his game, not Paul’s.

“I love Paul, but do not do everything he says,” Christmas said..

Later, Christmas revealed she’s noticed Paul’s hand in everyone’s HoH, pulling their strings to his advantage. After her statement to Josh, the two agreed to keep Paul out of the loop for the week so he would not shift the target.

The temptation competition

During the second temptation competition, the houseguests that chose to compete had to run through a haunted house mock-up and unscramble the letters on the walls in each of the rooms. When they successfully figured out the word, they had to find the item which corresponded to it.

Cody had the fastest time of three minutes, which granted him safety for the week, while Jessica had the slowest time of 15 minutes, making her the third nominee on the block.

Elena and Paul vs Josh

Once the temptation competition ended, Paul met with Josh to see where his head was at. Josh told the seasoned veteran he still wanted to put Elena up for eviction. It was revealed that Paul and Elena had made a deal, which then made it clear as to why he did not want her on be nominated. 

When Paul realized he could not shake Josh on his decision, he asked him if he could tell Elena and Mark that they would be on the block as pawns. Josh agreed, and, shortly after, Elena made her way to the HoH room to find out why she would be put up on the block. The Head of Household explained he thought she was the best competitor to go up against Jessica, which would ensure she could not win the veto. Elena did not buy the explanation and said there are better competitors like Alex and Paul who could do a better job.

Nomination Ceremony

During the nomination ceremony, Josh nominated Mark and Elena for eviction. Jessica was put up as the third nominee.

Josh told Marlena they were just pawns and Jessica was the real target for the week.

Wednesday

Christmas could change the game

On July 2nd, America voted to tempt Christmas inside The Den of Temptation. She accepted and held “The Ring of Replacement,” giving her the opportunity to swap places with any player picked to play in the Power of Veto competition.

Paul suggested that if Cody was picked to play, Christmas could use her temptation, which would leave Jessica fighting for safety by herself.

Christmas brought the plan to Josh, and they both agreed they see through Paul and focus on getting Elena out. They came to a general agreement — Josh would wink during the PoV player pick if he wanted Christmas to use her Den of Temptation privilege.

PoV competition

The players for this week’s veto competition were Josh, Alex Ow, Jessica, Elena, Cody, and Mark. After pulling Cody’s name, there was a brief moment of silence while Josh decided if he wanted Christmas to use her power. Ultimately, he made the wink and she replaced Cody in the competition.

The houseguests made their way outside and saw they would be competing in the OTEV challenge. There, the players were given information about their evicted roommates and had to retrieve the answers. Each time, there would be one less chair than how many players were competing.

After the first round, Elena was the first eliminated, followed by Jessica and Josh, leaving Alex and Mark. Alex beat Mark up the hill but dropped her answer, causing her to leave her spot to retrieve it. which made Mark the PoV winner.

PoV ceremony

Moments before the PoV ceremony, Matt Clines and Raven Walton volunteered to be pawns in Mark’s place because he would be pulling himself off of the block. As he did, Josh nominated Raven in his place.

Thursday

Kevin tried to play — and failed 

After weeks of scheming and casting unexpected votes, Kevin Schlehuber decided he was ready to play the game. He tried to drop a few hints to Jessica that he would keep Cody safe in the house if she were evicted this week. His plan was to have Cody take a shot at the couples and work with him, Jason, Alex and Paul. Jessica told Cody about it, but he turned it down immediately.

Kevin told Alex and Jason about his plan to work with Cody, and Alex did not like it either. Paul shot the idea down immediately, too.

Outside, Kevin and Jason were taking a walk when Cody joined. Kevin told Cody he would go after the couples in the house, and, if anyone from his side were to win HoH, Cody would be safe. Cody pretended to agree but said the deal was “null and void” and he would go after who he wanted to.

During their walk, Jason kept quiet and collected information. He reported back to Paul and Alex and the three of them were upset that Kevin was making deals on their behalf.

Jody vs Josh again

During their downtime, Paul and Josh were talking about how much Matt showers. Josh said Matt is the cause for the drought. Out of nowhere, Jessica chose to pick a fight with Josh by questioning his spelling ability. She asked him to spell the word “drought,” and he did correctly. Shortly after, Paul told Josh to ask Jessica if she could spell the word “evicted.” Josh ran inside and repeated the comment to her.

Cody got angry and started calling him a "moron” and making fun of his weight. Josh said he never got personal with them and it's just a game.

Josh went to the HoH room and started to cry. His team rallied around him, telling him not to be upset. During his diary room session, he told viewers he was really in Jessica’s corner rooting for her to stay in the house this week, but she just ruined her chances by taking things too far.

Live vote and eviction

Host Julie Chen prepared the houseguests for the live vote and eviction. Raven’s speech included information about her sickness, and she also thanked the houseguests. Elena mocked Dominique Cooper’s speech. And Jessica said Cody did not ruin her game, he made the whole thing worth it. She also continued to say Paul is the biggest target, and if the houseguests keep him then they are less than smart.

By a vote of 7-1, Jessica was evicted from the Big Brother house.

Immediately after, Josh started with his carnival song and dance while Cody carried her to the door to watch her walk out. During her interview with Chen, Jessica said she had been backstabbed, lied to and attacked so many times that she just gave up. She revealed the final straw with Josh was when he verbally attacked her on the anniversary of her dad’s death. She said her relationship with Cody is the real deal and she loves him.

During the goodbye messages, Cody was apologetic, Paul and Alex were petty and Josh revealed she was not his target, but she sealed her own fate by getting personal.

HoH competition

This week’s HoH competition was a magic performance in which the houseguests had to remember pieces of it for a true or false quiz.

Mark, Kevin, Jason and Paul were eliminated after the second question, followed by Christmas. Cody, Elena and Matt were eliminated, leaving Raven and Alex in the running. Raven gave the wrong answer which made Alex the new Head of Household.

With Alex being the new HoH, Paul will be in her ear the whole time, meaning Cody, Elena or Mark will go home. But The Temptation Competition is still in play and will change the course of the game. Someone will win the Power of Veto, and two houseguests will see the door next week during the first double eviction of the summer.

Big Brother airs on Sundays and Wednesdays at 8 p.m. and Thursdays at 9 p.m. on CBS.

@jprintup1

jp583215@ohio.edu