The Bobcates celebrate after a goal (BLAKE NISSEN | FOR THE POST)

Soccer: Ohio tops Butler for the first time in program history

It took less then four minutes for Hannah Jaggers to find the back of the net and give Ohio a 1-0 lead over Butler at Chessa Field on Sunday.

But that would be the only score for either team the rest of the game, as Ohio topped Butler for the first time in program history.

Erin Beurket and Sydney Malham split time in goal for Ohio for the second straight game, and the two combined to make five saves. Beurket and Malham have combined to stop seven shots in the back-to-back shutouts.

Defensively, the Bobcats were not as dominant Sunday, allowing the Bulldogs to get 19 shots off after holding Robert Morris to just six shots Friday.

Butler’s defense also held Ohio in check offensively much better than Robert Morris did. The Bulldogs held the Bobcats to just 11 shots and one goal after Ohio found the back of the net twice on 21 shots against Robert Morris.

But Ohio was still able to pull out the close victory over Butler to give Ohio the win in back-to-back games to open the season for the first time in the program’s history.

The Bobcats (2-0-0) will now get some rest after playing two games in three days before heading to North Carolina on Friday to take on High Point (1-1-0). Ohio will look to win its third straight game when the two teams kick off at 7 p.m.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu