'30 Rock' is leaving Netflix. (photo via nbc.com)

Farewell, 30 Rock

Have you ever watched a show in which characters mirrored yourself, and you laughed out loud at the writers’ wits or nodded in agreement with a character’s opinion, as if they understood exactly how you felt? 

For me, that show was 30 Rock, an underrated show that should be on the same level as The Office and Parks and Recreation. Not only did 30 Rock’s main character, Liz Lemon (Tina Fey), resemble the essence of my being, but the show’s writing was supreme. Witty one-liners fired off so often from characters’ mouths back-to-back, I could watch it for a third or fourth time and still catch new jokes. 

Every character of 30 Rock was different and served a different purpose. Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin) played the white, rich and conservative male archetype perfectly. Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan) was the unreliable, yet lovable actor, and Jenna Maroney (Jane Krakowski) was the prima donna of the show. Kenneth Parcell (Jack McBrayer) provided that kind-hearted, innocent character every good show needs (like Andy Dwyer (Chris Pratt) from Parks and Recreation or Kimmy Schmidt (Ellie Kemper) from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, for instance). 

And, of course, we can’t forget about TV’s greatest doctor, Leo Spaceman (Chris Parnell). 

A week ago, I wanted to watch an episode of 30 Rock as I ate dinner, but as soon as I clicked play and the episode began, a notification popped up with news of 30 Rock’s upcoming departure from Netflix. 

30 Rock is switching to one of Netflix’s competitors, Hulu. 

And it is not the only show leaving Netflix in October. How I Met Your Mother, seasons of Friday Night Lights, One Tree Hill, Prison Break, Malcolm in the Middle, Family Guy, Bones and Louie are also leaving Netflix

I could make tributes to all those shows that are passing on to the TV show graveyard of DVDs and illegal downloads (unless they get picked up by Hulu), but I’d like to focus on the sitcom that has brought a lot of laughs, cries and ‘Are-they-writing-this about-me?’ moments: 30 Rock.

30 Rock aired its last episode almost five years ago, but the series remains timeless. With comedy writers like Tina Fey, Kay Cannon, Tami Sagher, Robert Carlock and Donald Glover, the show was jam-packed full of humor, irony and puns. 

The show won dozens of awards, including a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series and a Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series.

Tina Fey also won awards for her performance as Liz Lemon, the awkward and quirky TGS writer. She also acted as the fun yet strong female character every show needs, and I find myself thinking, “What would Liz Lemon do?” I often think about her helpful advice, especially everything relating to food. Liz Lemon will undoubtedly be the most relatable character that will ever appear on screen. 

As Vanity Fair described it, 30 Rock’s leaving Netflix is an “end of an era.” The series’ wit and lovable characters will truly be missed. But maybe I’ll sign up for a Hulu subscription. With 30 Rock signed on, it would be worth it. 

So, farewell for now, 30 Rock. Thanks for all the laughs. 

@jess_hillyeah 

jh240314@ohio.edu