A.J. Ouellette carries the ball during Ohio's game against Eastern Michigan University on September 23, 2017. The Bobcats won 27-20 in overtime.

Football X's and O's: A look at the UMass front seven

On the surface, UMass isn't very good. 

The Minutemen are 0-5, one of just eight teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) that are winless. A deeper look at the their schedule, however, shows a different 0-5 team.

UMass has played five games, three of which were decided by one possession. Despite a loss to new-FCS team Coastal Carolina, UMass was in the game late at Tennessee last weekend.

In short, the Minutemen are inconsistent. But they still can't be taken lightly. 

Breakdown

UMass runs a bit of a unique defense, from what I saw on this YouTube video.

The Minutemen run a three and four man front, depending on the offensive formation. Mostly, though, they'll run an over front, meaning a linebacker will walk-up to the line of scrimmage as a stand-up end. The linebacker on the other side will play back in the traditional linebacker spot. 

From what was on tape, UMass will identify the strong side and adjust the line accordingly. 

The strong-side end plays outside the tackles, while the weak-side end lines up on the inside shoulder of the offensive tackle.

At the 18:36 mark, Tennessee lines up in the shotgun, with two running backs to the left and right of the quarterback.

UMass lines up in its three-man front with the outside man standing up, Da'Sean Downey, No. 4.

Downey has been a strong part of the UMass defense this season, leading the front line with three sacks through four games played. He also has 24 tackles for an average of six per game.

The Volunteers send the running back in motion from left to right, designed to get the defense moving right. They send the running back still in the backfield to the left, who fakes blocking Downey.

Downey, realizing that he's being read, drops back into coverage to breakup the pass and prevent what could have been a long gain on the screen pass. 

The other member of the front seven that Ohio has to account for is Bryton Barr, a linebacker. Barr led the team in tackles against Tennessee and has 50 tackles through five games thus far.

At the 45:09 mark, Barr, No. 44 makes his presence known rather forcefully. It's easy to spot him, too, because of his long hair.

He shifts over with the motioning tight end, and at the snap, heads straight for the line. 

Barr blitzes and completely runs over the left guard. Slowed down by the rest of the line, Barr is able to turn and jump on top to finish the tackle.

Judgement

Ohio should be able to handle business this weekend. 

Despite an 0-5 record, UMass still has some defensive standouts that Ohio has to account for. Should Ohio be able to get blocks on both of those defenders, the Bobcats should return home to Athens with a 4-1 record. 

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu