Here are some essential tips to plan your next road trip. (photo via Flickr Creative Commons Iain Merchant)

How to make your road trip a smoother experience

A road trip with your closest friends can lead to the greatest adventure — packing up a car and leaving home can make a person feel free. However, traveling long distances can be complicated. The experience depends on many factors, many of which can be controlled if you plan ahead.

Know your destination

A GPS can be life saving. Even if there isn’t a specific ending, at least have some kind of plan in place. The trip may end up being about the journey than the destination.

Roughly plan pit stops

It’s important to plan where on your route to stop for gas, restroom breaks and meals. Running out of gas or having cranky passengers isn’t ideal for anyone going on the trip. For longer trips, make hotel reservations in advance so you can avoid sleeping in the car due to no vacancy. 

Include a hard copy of a map or directions

You want to have a backup if the GPS loses signal or the Maps app is not working. Passengers come in handy during this time so you can focus on driving and have your co-pilot figure out the directions. 

Pack appropriately

It’s important to not overpack for a road trip because of limited car space. You should also arrange the luggage as tightly as possible. The passengers should have adequate room to move around and not run into a suitcase or the five snack bags.

Create a playlist

Make a Spotify list of songs that everyone can enjoy. Depending on the distance you’re driving, your radio station options might be limited. Make sure to include songs all passengers can enjoy, or include an even amount of their personal favorites to alternate.

Avoid Traffic Violations

It may be tempting to speed on longer stretches of highway or an insane amount of back roads, but you should still drive the speed limit. Getting pulled over puts a bad note on your travels for a few reasons. It make the drive that much longer. And a ticket means the problem of needing disposable cash in the future. 

Don’t be frivolous with money

When you stop for gas, don’t spend $15 of snacks. Try to make it to fast food restaurants, and don’t eat inside unless you wanna drastically increase your drive time. Keep track of how much money you have left at all times.

Of course, those aren’t nearly all the steps needed to be responsible when planning a road trip. Depending on your car or other circumstances you may consider getting the vehicle checked out or seeing if it’s really worth it to bring a friend who’s just drama. Make sure to focus on how you and your crew can have an enjoyable time and get to your destination safe.

@marvelllousmeg

mm512815@ohio.edu