An event on Monday will introduce facts and myths about menstruation. 

The Period Project will host one of its first educational events, “Let’s Talk About Menstruation,” in Schoonover Center 450 at 7 p.m. Pizza and Pepsi will be provided. 

The Period Project, started in 2016 by Ohio University student Maddie Sloat, is an organization dedicated to providing charitable donations of feminine products to local schools and educating students about women’s public health issues.

If you go:

What: Let’s Talk About Menstruation

When: 7 p.m., Monday

Where: Schoonover Center 450

Admission: Free

“We really just want it to be an opportunity for people to learn about these issues because all of our speakers have a wealth of knowledge that they are so excited to share,” Karinne Hill, a junior studying criminology and women’s gender and sexuality studies and president of the Period Project, said. Hill is a previous Post columnist.

The event will feature four speakers. 

Dr. Jane Balbo, assistant professor of the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine with a focus in women’s health, will speak on the topic of different methods of birth control and how each affects menstruation. 

Sarah Leslie, a second year medical student, will talk about an alternative method to tampons and sanitary napkins: menstrual cups. Leslie hopes the information shared at this event will help students feel less uncomfortable when talking about menstruation. 

“We're so scared as a society to talk about (menstruation), but it happens to basically half the population,” Leslie said. “I just want people to be more comfortable talking about periods because it's nothing to be scared of.” 

Gloria Aidoo-Frimpong, a graduate student studying public health, will talk about how a person’s experience with menstruation is affected by poverty. Around the world, many women cannot afford adequate feminine hygiene products, which can lead to infections and cervical cancer, according to a TIME article. 

A fourth person will speak about how menstruation can affect LGBT people. 

“I'm just excited to be able to provide people with that information in which they don't have to feel weird about asking about it,” Hill said. “Everyone's going to be talking about periods.” 

Amani Scott, a junior studying sociology pre-law and philosophy, said she thinks this event can also apply to male students. 

“If a guy is knowledgeable, he can be there for his girlfriend, for his wife and then in the future for his (daughter),” Scott said. 

She also believes that learning about one’s body is important. 

“Knowing more about your body and the way it operates on any realm is definitely very important,” Scott said. “Especially something as natural and as frequent as the female period cycle.” 

@JackieOu_ohyeah

jo019315@ohio.edu