President Donald Trump’s administration moved forward Tuesday in undoing an Obama-era climate change rule. 

The Environmental Protection Agency is looking to repeal former President Barack Obama’s Clean Power Plan. The EPA said the plan, which aimed to have the electric power industry shift from coal to greener sources of energy, “violated federal law and would cost consumers $33 billion in 2030,” according to Politico

"The EPA and no federal agency should ever use its authority to say to you we are going to declare war on any sector of our economy," Scott Pruitt, administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, said in an NPR report.

"That rule really was about picking winners and losers," Pruitt said. 

The goal of the Clean Power Plan was to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 32 percent by 2030, ABC News reported. Under the plan, states would be required to submit plans on how they would reduce emissions. Solutions could’ve included new technology to power plants or switching to energy sources like wind or solar.

In 2015, carbon dioxide emissions from energy were 12 percent lower than levels in 2005, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Since the Clean Power Plan never went into effect, there is no data to show if it actually had an effect on emissions. 

“The biggest criticism of undoing the plan is that continuing emissions at current levels would not slow down rising global temperatures, which could lead to further consequences that hurt the environment and public health,” ABC News reported. 

Trump, however, said the plan threatened miners, energy companies and workers. 

"Perhaps no single regulation threatens our miners, energy companies and workers more than this crushing attack on American industry," Trump said in March, referring to the Clean Power Plan.

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu