The Athens Halloween Block Party in Athens began in the fall of 1974. In each year since then, students and partygoers have showed off their costumes.

Upon searching through archives of old articles from The Post, the costumes worn by those in attendance can perfectly depict the time era they were in.

1970s

A renegade clown cleaning up his act at Halloween in 1977. (Photo provided by the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections)

A Halloween 1977 edition of The Post states popular costumes included a mummy, an Oreo cookie, a six-pack of beer, the Pope, a Hershey kiss, Eddie Munster, Tweety Bird and hundreds of renegade clowns.

Some of those trends make sense for the time. In 1974, the Oreo cookie went through a name change from Oreo Creme Sandwich to Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookie. Eddie Munster was also a popular character in the television sitcom The Munsters, which aired between 1964 and 1966. 

It seems as if during this time, people opted to make their costumes by hand rather than go out to a store to buy something pre-made, which is a popular choice now. 

1980s

A Werewolf during the Halloween Block Party in 1986. (Photo provided by the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections)

The “human flies” could be depicting the first appearance of the Human Fly in The Amazing Spider-Man in 1976.

Werewolf costumes were also popular in the 1980’s as a plethora of movies depicting the hairy beast were released within the decade.

Two "human flies" pose for a picture during Halloween in 1981. (Photo provided by the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections)

1990s

Two OU students getting hitched on Halloween in 1993. (Photo provided by the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections)

With so many in attendance each year to the block party, something unusual is bound to happen each year. With that said, two students decided to dress in wedding attire and exchange vows on Court Street.

Group of students dressed as dogs for Halloween in 1990. (Photo provided by the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections)

Group costumes were also popular, too. Featured below includes a group of students dressed as dogs along with a group of synchronized swimmers with “MU” on their bathing suits.

Synchronized swimmers make an appearance sporting MU on their bathing suits during Halloween in 1998. (Photo provided by the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections)

2000s

An Athens resident dressed as the "Ultimate Cell Phone", letting someone make a call on Court Street during Halloween in 2003. (Photo provided by the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections)

As new technologies began to emerge during this time, some students’ costumes reflected those changes. For example, in 2003 an Athens resident dressed as “The Ultimate Cell Phone.” At that time, the most popular cell phone style was the flip phone.

Two students dressed as iPod commercials for Halloween in 2007. (Photo provided by the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections)

In 2007, two students dressed as iPod commercials. During this year, the iPod touch and iPhone were first released.

2010s

Halloween partiers play a game of human beer pong at the Athens Halloween Block Party 2013. (Katie Klann | FILE)

Though you may see an abundance of mermaids, superheroes, zombies on Court Street or whatever else may be popular at the time, some students still serve up one-of-a-kind ideas when it comes to choosing their Halloween costumes each year. 

Ashley Jordan, a sophomore studying education, poses for a portrait dressed as Bob Ross on Halloween.

@TF_Johnston

tj369915@ohio.edu