Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, and Clerk of Council Debra Walker chat before the Athens City Council meeting Aug. 28.

City Council: Members suspend rules to codify TACO

At its Monday night meeting, Athens City Council members voted to amend cannabis laws and penalties to include The Athens Cannabis Ordinance (TACO), following the ordinance’s passage in the Nov. 7 election. 

TACO passed by 77 percent, according to a previous Post report. The ordinance reduces the fine and penalties for having up to 200 grams of cannabis. Although TACO depenalizes cannabis possession under city code, the Ohio University Police Department will still cite offenders using the Ohio Revised Code.

People convicted of misdemeanor marijuana possession under the Ohio Revised Code can face up to 30 days in jail and be fined up to $250 for 100 to 200 grams, or be fined up to $150 with no jail time for 100 grams or fewer, according to a previous Post report

“Law enforcement is a business just like any other one,” Caleb Brown, one of the TACO petition leaders, said in a previous Post report. “With no fines or court costs to be paid from local citations, the justice system will quickly recognize that enforcing misdemeanor marijuana offenses in town is not a profitable venture.”

TACO does not, however, remove the minor misdemeanor charge received when in possession of cannabis, Athens Mayor Steve Patterson said. Instead, it removes the fine given under Ohio Revised Code.

“It is still important for people to understand that the fine is one thing,” Patterson said. “A criminal record is another thing.”

In order to codify TACO more quickly, members voted to suspend the rules, which eliminated the need for three readings to approve the ordinance. Members voted to approve the ordinance in anticipation of the outcome of the election being verified by the Athens County Board of Elections.

“At this point in time, after the Board of Elections verifies the outcome, we will already have in place the ability to zero out whatever the fine is,” Patterson said. 

City council members also approved an ordinance amending the traffic code to change the ticketing system for jaywalking and use of wheeled vehicles, such as bicycles or skateboards, on certain streets from criminal to administrative. The ordinance also increases the fine from $20 to $30. 

If the offender does not pay the fine, they would be charged with a minor misdemeanor, Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, said in a previous Post report

The ordinance will also allow non-law enforcement personnel, namely parking enforcement and other city staff, to enforce the code and issue tickets, according to the previous Post report. 

“This ordinance encompasses Court Street because of heavy pedestrian traffic and complaints from pedestrians, business owners and accidents that have occurred,” Papai said in the previous Post report.

@bloodbuzzohioan

sc568816@ohio.edu