To put it bluntly, a lot of music came out in 2017. To put a number on each and every song released would be time consuming with little pay off. Anyway this is entirely unofficial and by no means from an authoritative source of the best songs released this year. Also note that I, in no way shape or form, am a music expert. These are just a list of songs a college-age boy really enjoyed in 2017. 

”XO TOUR Llif3” — Lil Uzi Vert

OK, so this is probably a real hot take so hear me out. And yes, this is above "HUMBLE" for many reasons. The subject matter of this song is unlike anything else that was on the charts this year, and the fact it reached the level of popularity it did, to me, is unfathomable. “Push me to the edge / All my friends are dead.” Real talk, that’s a solid bar. He doesn’t care if he’s pushed to the edge, everyone he loves is dead – so kill him. Lil Uzi Vert arguably released the best song of 2017. 

“Perfect Places” — Lorde

Far ahead of any other song off Lorde’s Melodrama, “Perfect Places” kind of sums up the epitome of trying to find love and your place as a young person. From bouncing around people’s bedrooms from night-to-night to just trying to find your place, the haunting pop voice that is Lorde really just hits you in the feels relentlessly. 

“HUMBLE.” — Kendrick Lamar

Remember syrup sandwiches? Kendrick Lamar does. “HUMBLE.” dropped kind of unexpectedly. After Kendrick wiped his social media accounts, he drops what’s arguably one of the best rap videos in years and was the lead-single off “DAMN.” “HUMBLE.” is one of the most unconventional rap songs that’s released within the past few years. Credit that to King Kenny being able to get people to listen outside of their comfort zone. 

“Hard Times” — Paramore

There’s a weird trend where 2000’s pop-punk emo bands turn into pop bands? It’s a thing and Paramore is not an exception to that. It is an exception to the fact that most of those Hot Topic-fueled bands end up being bad at pop music – Paramore kills the pop game. “Hard Times” is fun, upbeat and catchy. It will take all of three seconds to have you dancing in some way shape or form. Really makes going through hard times almost fun because dancing is always good for the soul. 

“Slow Hands” — Niall Horan

Now that One Direction has gone in separate directions –  a joke that has been made before, probably – it would be crass to not throw one of the boys on this list. And yeah, Harry Styles’ album is great. But Horan’s “Slow Hands” is arguably way easier to get into than most of Styles’ debut. The weird indie-funk-radio-friendly lust-fueled ballad that Niall released is good. It’s easy to listen to. Your mom probably loves it without realizing it’s about slowly caressing a lover.

“rockstar” — Post Malone ft. 21 Savage

This song is perfect for a bunch of white boys to jam out to at a college party as the hook of “rockstar” raves about the splendor of living life as a rockstar. “I been f—king hoes and poppin’ pillies / Man I feel just like a rockstar.” That’s really all you need to know about this song. Because this is the life the average college-aged partier thinks they’ll end up living with their 2.4 GPA, it makes sense why you hear at every bar or party you go to now.

“Passionfruit” — Drake

If you like Drake then you’ll like this. It’s got this beachy island feel to it. Like, you’ll want to drink a margarita and bob your head and dance to Drake. 

”Chanel” — Frank Ocean

As a follow up to Blonde, Frank Ocean has just been releasing song after song this year, but note that this is compared to the four year hiatus Frank took after releasing Channel Orange. “Chanel” was the strongest of the songs he released this year and is a bit different than most other songs you’ll hear gain traction as Frank sings about how his male partner is pretty right from the start. “My guy pretty like a girl” is the opening line – making it one of music’s most influential voices for the LGBT community. 

“Want You Back” — HAIM

The HAIM sisters quietly released one of the bangers of the year with their sophomore album Something to Tell You. Released as the lead single for the album, “Want You Back” has sort of a fun ‘80s vibe that’s just about wanting a lover back. It’s good. The HAIM sisters can do no wrong I swear. 

“Look What You Made Me Do” — Taylor Swift

Disclaimer: This song is bad, and there are no two ways around it. It makes me cringe. It’s Taylor doing her best to take jabs at Kanye and everyone else who has wronged her throughout her career. The only reason this song is notable is because of the buzz Taylor made for it around the internet and how she evidently killed the “old Taylor” with the worst phone call cliche in a song I have ever heard. 

@chuck_greenlee

cg153314@ohio.edu