In the latest episode of Outlander, Claire (Caitriona Balfe) takes command while Jamie (Sam Heughan) is locked up following her kidnapping. 

Jamie gets put in a cell

Once Jamie realized that Claire was being kidnapped, he snapped. He demanded the captain of the ship catch the British ship that took Claire. The captain, who already did not like Jamie, said no. He did not want to cause any fuss about Claire despite Jamie insisting. When Jamie got aggravated, the captain had him locked up in a cell. Jamie tried to enlist Fergus (César Domboy)  in pickpocketing the keys so they could take over the ship to get Claire back, but Fergus wouldn’t. Fergus said no because, if he were to fail, Marsali (Lauren Lyle) would have no protection and would be alone. Jamie was only released when the crew needed his help to sail. 

Claire takes control of the Porpoise

Claire immediately took control of the daunting situation on the Porpoise. Hundreds of men were sick and dead already, so she had her work cut out for her. There was next to no resources on board and the unruly crew did not help the situation. Luckily, Claire had the help of Elias Pound (Albie Marber), a midshipman on board. When many of the all-male crew did not take to a woman ordering them around, Elias would jump to defend Claire. Elias and Claire grew to be friends, even. It was sweet to see someone having Claire’s back when many of the crew did not like her new orders. 

Jamie is a wanted man again

When Claire went to confront Captain Thomas Leonard (Charlie Hiett) of the Porpoise, she discovered his log. It had detailed that Sir Percival’s employee saw Jamie on the Artemis. Sir Percival Turner (Paul Brightwell) was the exciseman from England who was out to get Jamie by almost any means necessary. Claire was instantly scared and worried Jamie would be arrested and sentenced to death. She was also worried that she would be used as bait for the British to arrest Jamie easier, so she had to get off the ship to warn Jamie. 

Claire jumps ship

After Claire confided in a fellow female on board, Annekje Johansen (Chanelle de Jager), the gunner's wife aboard the Porpoise, Annekje helped Claire escape. They originally tried to have Claire escape when Annekje’s goats needed grass from an island. The plan didn’t work, though, and Captain Leonard was doing rounds on the island so he caught Claire. Once Claire was back on board the Porpoise, Annekje convinced her that she should jump overboard when they were close to another island in the West Indies. Claire was originally apprehensive considering she would be jumping into the ocean and she could drown. With Annekje’s help, Claire realized jumping into the water was her only way of helping Jamie. 

Outlander airs at 9 p.m. on Sundays on STARZ.

@jess_umbarger

ju992415@ohio.edu