Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, and Clerk of Council Debra Walker chat before the Athens City Council meeting Aug. 28. (FILE)

City Council: Members recognize councilwomen not returning next term

At its last meeting of 2017, Athens City Council unanimously passed resolutions expressing appreciation of the City of Athens to the council members not returning for another term. 

One resolution was dedicated to Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward. Papai served three terms on city council, from January 2012 to December. She also served as head of the transportation committee and on the Ohio University affordable housing task force.

“It’s been an honor,” Papai said. “I’m going to miss it on some level. That’s for sure.”

The third ward seat will be filled by Samuel Emerson Crowl, who ran unopposed in the November elections and won 582 votes.

The other resolution was dedicated to Councilwoman Arian Smedley, D-At Large. Smedley had stepped up fill a previous vacancy on city council. She served on city council from August to December.

“It’s been an absolute pleasure,” Smedley said.

The three at-large seats will be filled by incumbents Pat McGee and Peter Kotses and newcomer Sarah Grace.

Council also passed all seven other ordinances read at its meeting.

The first ordinance authorizes the city auditor to deposit 50 percent of the transient guest tax revenue collected from Jan. 1, 2018, to Dec. 31, 2020, into the city tourism fund.

“I’m excited for this because I think it’s a step up for economic development in our county,” Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward said.

The second ordinance authorizes the mayor to enter into a contract extension to provide financial support for the operation of the Athens County Economic Development Council.

The third ordinance makes appropriations for current other expenses of the City of Athens during the fiscal year ending Dec. 31, 2018. 

“We had to make sure our expenditures matched our revenues, and I believe we’ve done that,” Councilman Jeffrey Risner, D-2nd Ward said.

Another ordinance declares certain police department equipment obsolete, and the ordinance forfeited bicycles no longer needed for municipal purposes.

After suspending the rules, members passed an ordinance about 2018 staffing levels and non-union compensation and another ordinance adopting a benefit package for non-union personnel. 

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson also briefly mentioned that Athens now has the largest black gum tree in the state of Ohio. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources has declared it a state champion tree, and the tree will receive a plaque dedicated to it in the spring.

@taylorheddleson

th623316@ohio.edu