Water drips from the shower head of one of the showers in the Bryan third floor womens restroom.

Bryan Hall residents create petition to address air and water temperatures

Housing and Residence Life responded to a petition from residents in Bryan Hall who got heated about the overly-warm air temperatures and lukewarm water temperatures in the residence hall. 

The petition, which was delivered to Bryan Hall’s assistant resident director with 73 signatures from Bryan residents, was created by Henry Pham, a sophomore in specialized studies.

“We all started talking about it in a dorm group chat,” Pham said. “We realized then that we were all having problems with the temperature.”

Many of the windows in Bryan Hall do not open, Pham said. Additionally, when the air outside is below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, residents are warned against using the air conditioners, because the unit can freeze. 

“The hot air room condition is a more difficult one to manage in winter as we often find ourselves having fluctuating weather conditions,” Executive Director of Housing and Residence Life Pete Trentacoste said in an email. “When the temperature outside is 65 in November, the heat inside a building can make the space really uncomfortable.”

Some students, including sophomore Autumn Crouse, find the temperature so unbearable that they could not sleep there.

“It’s unbelievably hot,” Crouse said. “I slept in another room because my room was just too warm.”

Along with the air temperature, Bryan Hall residents have had problems with the water temperature as well. 

“(The water temperature) is a gamble in the morning,” Pham said. “We’re lucky to get warm water, especially in the mornings.”

Following the petition’s delivery, Bryan Hall’s graduate resident director sent an email informing residents that the air and water temperature problem should have been fixed.

“To my knowledge, the lukewarm/hot water situation has been resolved and the issue was related to a circulation pump that needed to be replaced,” Trentacoste said. “Following that repair, the GRD of Bryan Hall sent out a building wide message checking in with residents to be sure they are finding improved hot water throughout the building.”       

After the petition was delivered and the email was sent, the temperatures in Bryan Hall have improved, Pham said. 

“A petition is never necessary for students to have access to hot water and reasonable heating temperatures inside their rooms,” Trentacoste said. “If residential students ever feel like they are not getting a fast enough follow-up to conditions they find in their room they should call facilities management or the Housing and Residence Life front desk.”

@bloodbuzzohioan

sc568816@ohio.edu