Photo via visitthecapitol.gov.

U.S. Senate plans to vote on bill banning abortions after 20 weeks

The U.S. Senate plans to vote on a bill this week that would make abortions performed after 20 weeks a criminal act. 

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, said Wednesday the U.S. is one of seven countries around the world that allows abortions after 20 weeks, according to a Cleveland.com report. 

That isn’t the first time Senate has attempted to pass this measurer, however. It previously failed, and some say it won’t pass this week either because politicians would need to publicly voice their opinions on the issue, which many believe is popular with voters. 

If the bill were to pass, it would subject abortion providers to up to five years in prison for violations. However, the law would not punish women who receive the abortion, and it would allow abortions needed to save the woman’s life. It also would allow an abortion if the pregnancy was a result of rape or incest.

Ohio Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown plans to vote against the bill. 

"Senator Brown believes women — not politicians — should have the freedom to make personal, private health decisions for themselves," Spokeswoman Jenny Donohue told Cleveland.com.

In March, Ohio enacted a similar piece of legislation that banned “abortions after a fetus is 20 weeks or more post-fertilization, or about 22 weeks into a pregnancy as measured by physicians,” according to Cleveland.com. Physicians who violate that ban in Ohio could face fourth-degree felony charges, which is punishable by up to 18 months in prison.

President Donald Trump is in support of the national bill and has urged the Senate to get the legislation to his desk for him to sign. 

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu